High pitch sound from La Spaziale Vivaldi S1V1

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
David

#1: Post by David »

Hi all, long time reader, first time poster. I've been surfing this site for a while now, trying to gather as many information as I could about espresso and the process of making it. So in order to achieve a better cup, four months ago, I bought a used Vivaldi S1V1. That machine replaced a cheap thermoblock one I bought 2 years ago. Quite an improvement it made! Recently, about a month or so, the machine started to produce a high, pitch sound each time the heater of the brew boiler kicks in.

I've been trying to make some research to see if others were experimenting the same thing without any success. So, knowing how knowledgeable you guys are, Im seeking for your help. I've done a quick vid to show whats happening. The sound tend to stop if I play with the portafilter. Thats what you see at the end of the video.
David.

yellow_speedster

#2: Post by yellow_speedster »

It sounds like a 3-way group valve that is pushed open. Check the expansion valve.
After pulling a shot, the cold water that entered the heat exchanger will expand. The expansion valve should give some drips off water after each shot. If it's blocked, the pressure in the HX will rise high enough to push open the 3-way valve and cause this sound.

Frank

Koffee Kosmo

#3: Post by Koffee Kosmo »

disassemble your 3 way, drop it in some cleaner (cleancaf works) and then put it back together.
don't put the black box in the solution obviously, just the mechanical parts.

KK

yellow_speedster

#4: Post by yellow_speedster »

99% sure the problem is not the 3-way valve itself. If it's dirty, it will just leak. The screaming sound is familiar to me, it is the ruby in the valve you hear resonating. First look what is happening before pulling apart the machine. So as I suggested above, check the expansion valve. It has to bleed off some water after pulling a shot. If not, it is blocked. A blocked expansion valve can also cause damage to the HX and its seals. The expansion valve is the most forgotten part to descale. Since it will only open at a pressure above 12 Bar, descaler will never run through it during a "normal" descaling cycle.

Frank.

David (original poster)

#5: Post by David (original poster) »

Thanks guys, i'll check into that and report.

Bert K

#6: Post by Bert K »

That must be the famous Vivaldi flute concerto in D...
:D

MDL

#7: Post by MDL »

The Vivaldi is not an HX machine.

I have a Vivaldi II and have never heard this noise. My suggestion is that you call the service department at Chris's Coffee and ask them for advice (518-452-5995). They are very customer oriented and are the importers of the Vivaldi's.

You might also want to search on the Vivaldi user's site:
http://s1cafe.com/

Good luck,
Mark

David (original poster)

#8: Post by David (original poster) »

yellow speedster wrote:99% sure the problem is not the 3-way valve itself. If it's dirty, it will just leak. The screaming sound is familiar to me, it is the ruby in the valve you hear resonating. First look what is happening before pulling apart the machine. So as I suggested above, check the expansion valve. It has to bleed off some water after pulling a shot
The problem was the expansion valve. I guess the person I bought the machine from didnt like to see the expansion valve dripping. The valve was tightly closed, nothing was coming out of it after a shot. I set it up to open @ 12.5 bar. I now have a working expansion valve and no more flute sound!

Thanks,
David