Hi, my name is Otto! Who is going to buy me? - Page 4

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
michaelbenis

#31: Post by michaelbenis »

Thanks for the camping encouragement Jack. That's just what I need! :D

I love the whole bike rally / festival / wild camping routine and about the only "civilised" thing I miss is espresso :D

I shall report fully on successes and disasters.....
LMWDP No. 237

orphanespresso
Sponsor

#32: Post by orphanespresso »

Aw Jack....tell us how you REALLY feel!

We recently acquired a Robbiati Atomic, and look forward to giving it a go!

Craig from OTTO

#33: Post by Craig from OTTO »

Hey Jack,

Great to be in touch. Thank you for being so welcoming. Im looking forward to many wins for both of us, and a beer as soon as we're in the same city.

Travel safe !

Frederickguru

#34: Post by Frederickguru »

Hi there Jack and Craig,
Do you think that there will be a seat for me at the beer meet?

I'm very glad that some are getting an Atomic, I have two of Jack's creation and of course I have been using the OTTO for about a month now, maybe less. Time flies and I don't keep track.
The OTTO is a wonderful machine. Unfortunately I was brought down in flames for being to emphatic. Tough for those who criticised me without having experienced it. One even suggested I was getting kickbacks! Ah well.
I received yesterday the holy grail of ATOMICS, a La Sorrentina sold in New York in 1884 for $84.50. Complete with green-black handles all over and with very little usage.
The only advice I can give to anyone thinking of getting this rare model is this: GET ONE FROM JACK! They are unbelievably well made, so much better than the last batch from somewhere in Milan.
This last batch, and a few before, were really botched. An example: put a filter to the light, are all holes pierced? 25% are not in both filters in the one I received. The dispersement plate also shows this flaw. Worse, the bottom plate of the die used was also quite worn, therefore, the punched holes have a texture on the inside ressembling a diminutive grater.
But it's not all bad, the group fits snugly because by that time silicone seals were being used.
Jack's La Sorrentina is a direct descendant of the best examples made in the golden years of Robbiati's production, he has a tighter quality control and dedication to the continual tweeking of his product.

I could speak volumes about my tribulations with the owner of Bon Trading...come to think of it I have a machine on order also. I'm on a list you see.....I have been on it for 6 years.

The ATOMIC in general and Jack's La Sorrentina is the best stovetop coffee maker around. Nothing can touch it.
The OTTO ? Completely different in philosophy and execution. It makes espresso. Espresso that can compare to ANY industrial espresso machine , hard plumbered or not.
Some people expect to drive the family and camping gear for a week-end out in the bush in their Lotus Seven.....obviously they can't do that, it's not the right vehicle for the task.
In the same vein, some expect the OTTO to serve 10 capus to as many friends in 15 minutes. It won't do it.
The OTTO is a two serving stovetop espresso machine. Period. A stove is not a boosted heating element.
Patience here has it's rewards, the OTTO will gratify the user with an exquisite drink. BUT just as a La Sorrentina needs a minimum of dexterity to reward you with a splendid brew, the OTTO also needs some practice to grant the user with the best espresso this side of Nirvana.

michaelbenis

#35: Post by michaelbenis »

Very nice write up, there, Mr Guru! (nice surname, too :D ) and a helpful distinction between the two machines.

Cheers

Mike
LMWDP No. 237

Frederickguru

#36: Post by Frederickguru »

Thank you,
My first name alone was refused to be on this site.
In all humility some know me as The Atomic Guru as I have written a lot about use, ownership, repair and gratification given by the ATOMIC coffee machines.
I know them well.
I have known Jack and Craig for some time now, but only on their goal and achievement level.
Jack is in a stupid embroglio caused by a very jealous and belliquosal lady that has time and money to waste on preventing him free reign to distribute his machine.
I repeat here: ALL ATOMICS after the prototype are reproductions. Different foundries were used after the (B) units as Robbiati could not keep up with the demand. Jack's La Sorrentina is a direct descendant of the best models that were offered to the public, even though his research is on a different level as the one done by Craig and his OTTO, Jack deserves recognition in supplying a most perfect coffee machine.

We are living historic times, well I am at least, because the ATOMIC has been a very big part of my life and I supplied quite nice jugs when there weren't any. I had to suffer the repeated 2 hour phone calls from Bon as she was adamant that people would buy parts and sell them through Ebay. I would sternly suggest that she should get on Ebay herself and stop crying. She finally did it.
I would never have imagined that someone would stoop as low as Bon did to stop a new manufacture of the ATOMIC.
All the while, some time ago , another issue of this silver steaming chalice was born in India, complete with BOU Trading label....it was despicable, in every single respect and a very tight battle was fought on the web to educate aspiring buyers about the flaws.
I of course own one of these and it prevents dust from getting underneath where it sits...somewhere.
In short, we are witnessing the rebirth of the ATOMIC, assisting the death of a would be, cheering for a complete remake on the same theme, watching aghast as court proceedings will decide if a liar can beat the odds of an honest hard working chap hailing from Adelaide.
All of this happening half around the world from the birthplace of the ATOMIC, in a far away island, lost in the Pacific.....

The old saying of turning around in his grave must certainly fit here. Giordanno must be having a ball.

michaelbenis

#37: Post by michaelbenis »

Hi Frederick,

I hope you don't think my comment about a "surname" was made in anything but jest. Most first names are of course taken already and it is recognised that you very definitely ARE the Atomic Guru!

So, welcome to the site and....my somewhat dubious sense of humour :D

Thank you for your insights. I look forward to reading more in the future.

Cheers

Mike
LMWDP No. 237

Craig from OTTO

#38: Post by Craig from OTTO »

Hi team, greetings from steamy Hong Kong,

Finally the day has arrived. I've just had word from Sydney that OTTOs are landing at peoples homes.

Great thanks for the incredible patience over the past 12 months, really looking forward to the feedback, let the games begin !

Cheers,
Craig

zin1953

#39: Post by zin1953 »

I hope everyone has their trademarks in place . . .

Schaerer sells the "OTTO"

described as:
OTTO with 8 Built-In Grinders
The model OTTO is the worlds largest super automatic espresso coffee machine. It features 8 built-in grinders. The total capacity of this coffee, espresso cappuccino station is up to 500 cups per hour.
The blending feature between each of the four grinders is unique, allowing an endless coffee menue.
Dispensing coffee and espresso by the touch of a button has never been easier. Just place a cup underneath the spout, push a button and the machine takes care of the rest. It will grind whole beans, compress the grounds, brew the espresso and discharge the used grounds into a bin.
A morning without coffee is sleep. -- Anon.

Sparkle58

#40: Post by Sparkle58 »

Hi Craig and others

I can't believe I actually and finally have an OTTO hissing away on my stovetop! When you said it would be about 4 weeks for delivery after ordering you weren't kidding as it landed today 4 weeks to the day.

I'm doing the suggested initial run-through now and can't wait to try a cup as soon as I feel it's ready to taste. I must admit, the first go resulted in a pretty good looking cup using some old supermarket coffee I had left over from the dark ages before OTTO.

Anyway, safe trip home and I'll post again when I get better at driving this thing. Geez it looks awesome just standing still!

Cheers

Barclay