Help with used Nuova Simonelli Oscar - no water through grouphead

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
JohnnyCupcake

#1: Post by JohnnyCupcake »

Long time lurker, first time poster.
I've searched not only this forum, but others, and have yet to find a solution.

I recently picked up a used Nuova Simonelli Oscar. The p/o said they had it in storage, and since taking it out, they couldn't get it to move water through the grouphead. I figured it just needed a good cleaning and descaling.

So I've got it home. Took the cover off. Cleaned it a bit (no descale yet). Replaced the pump with one from another working machine.
When I turn it on, the pump will fill the boiler. The heating element does its job, and I will get steam from the want. However, when I push the button to brew, I get zero water through the group - just as the p/o described. The pump doesn't engage either. Just nothing happens.

My question is - is this a likely symptom of just an incredibly clogged system, or is there some other issue that I'm not thinking of?
If it is plugged up, it will be difficult to move descale through the system. Should I just get some descaler in the boiler (I typically use acetic acid, diluted) and let it sit for a period of time?

Any other suggestions?

Many thanks in advance.

J

estib

#2: Post by estib »

Most likely its an electrical since the pump is working but doesnt turn on when you press the brew switch. Might be a faulty switch, loose connection, broken wiring or a faulty gicar.

HoldTheOnions

#3: Post by HoldTheOnions »

I second the electrical problem. Since the boiler is filling, I am guessing the Gicar is ok and I would start at the front panel switch and work out from there.

JohnnyCupcake (original poster)

#4: Post by JohnnyCupcake (original poster) »

Thanks for the advice. What's the trick for removing those switches off the front plate?

Edit: Got them out

#5: Post by JohnnyCupcake (original poster) »

Update:
I swapped out the switches from a working parts Oscar I've got.
The pump now engages when I push the button, but I still get no water. Zero.
Possibly plugged line running to the group?

sikijou

#6: Post by sikijou replying to JohnnyCupcake »

Could be.
try dismantle the hx pipe line to grouphead and try look for faulty retainer valve (this is prone to break over time) after the 2 way solenoid near the boiler or you can just google it to know presicely where it is.

estib

#7: Post by estib »

Might be a faulty 3 way solenoid valve. I dont think the pipes would clogged up that you get zero flow not even drips.

#8: Post by JohnnyCupcake (original poster) »

Update:

I replaced the retaining valve (near the boiler).
Removed the 3-way solenoid. I get water to the group fitting, but still none coming out of the head. Do I have a faulty 3-way? It sounds like I'm backflushing

doubleOsoul

#9: Post by doubleOsoul »

JohnnyCupcake wrote:Update:

I replaced the retaining valve (near the boiler).
Removed the 3-way solenoid. I get water to the group fitting, but still none coming out of the head. Do I have a faulty 3-way?
You might. I had the same problem when I have an Oscar years ago and turned out I had to replace the solenoid.

#10: Post by JohnnyCupcake (original poster) »

Update:

Replaced the 3-way solenoid - now it moves water through the grouphead! :D

Much love for the help!