Help with botched bottomless portafilter mod

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
genecounts

#1: Post by genecounts »

Made a huge mistake back in November. Paid $65.00 for a 53mm bottomless to fit a La Spaz Vivaldi II. The basket was so loose just flopped around. Took it to local career center to have them put a touch of braze on both sides to tighten it up. Bad idea! It warped. Was hoping the instructor would do the job but apparently he handed it over to teenagers. Nobody's fault but mine.
Anyone out there want to take a stab at resurrecting it?
Ideas?
Thanks

Espresso Outfitters

#2: Post by Espresso Outfitters »

use a hole cutter to drill a stock portafilter out, and you are good to go on the matter., but you really don't need one, it's a fad, not a training tool.

enzian

#3: Post by enzian »

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I'm assuming you mean the portafilter is warped, and not the basket.

If you were using a basket that fit's your machine and it didn't fit the portafilter correctly, I can think of two possibilities: 1. the portafilter came without a retaining clip, and/or 2. the portafilter was not the right size for the basket. Perhaps the portafilter was never the right size for your machine. If the portafilter is indeed the right size for your machine and is now warped, you might consider asking someone at a machine shop to straighten it out for you. Hopefully, it doesn't end up back with the same teenagers for repair. :)

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

If it is the basket, then just get another one. If it is the portafilter that warped, again, get another one or make one.
Dave Stephens