Help with water tank level switch

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
FastForward

#1: Post by FastForward »

What is the best way to check if the water tank level switch is faulty? With power on, there is no power coming out of the switch. I did jumper the cable and power was delivered to the SSR and boiler.

How can I check if it the problem is with the switch not the magnetic float. The only part I see floating in the tank is a cylindrical piece of white plastic!

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC replying to FastForward »

remove the tank and put a magnet near the hall effect sensor. You haven't mentioned which machine you have?

FastForward (original poster)

#3: Post by FastForward (original poster) »

Thanks, I will try that. My machine is an e61 group Brasilia Gabriella.

#4: Post by FastForward (original poster) »

I just did that, and the switch turned on.

So what could cause the switch not to come come when the water tank is attached? I checked the floater and it is not stuck at the bottom. In fact its hitting the top stop screw.

#5: Post by FastForward (original poster) »

Is the switch supposed to be normally closed or normally open?

DaveC

#6: Post by DaveC »

FastForward wrote:I just did that, and the switch turned on.

So what could cause the switch not to come come when the water tank is attached? I checked the floater and it is not stuck at the bottom. In fact its hitting the top stop screw.
These float (with magent) and hall effect systems can sometimes give problems. It relies on a good alignment of the magnet in the float and the "normally" open switch, unless there is a magnet near enough.

1. The magnet could be loose in the float
2. The tank could be misaligned
3. The sensor could have moved

#7: Post by FastForward (original poster) »

Thanks DaveC,

I will work on aligning it and hopefully get it working. Could the float be the culprit here, in that the magnet has gotten weaker.

I checked the float and the magnet still work, don't know if it is weaker than before? The float orientation was plus side down. The magnet is on the bottom.