Help Understanding Boiler Pressure/Cycle

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Robo5014

#1: Post by Robo5014 »

Recently purchased a Rocket Cellini Prem Plus V2 and my first prosumer. I'm still trying to get use to all the sounds and functions...or "is this normal" questions. My question is around the pstat and the cycle time of the boiler. My pstat is set at 1 bar. I have not timed it but it appears that when it reaches this level the heating element cuts off and the pressure begins to decline almost immediately ticking down to .7 before cycling back on again. My concern is how often the boiler is cycling and not holding pressure. I've watched a couple videos online of rockets and it appears the pressure reading is stable. Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.

JohnB.
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by JohnB. »

That's how it works. As soon as the heating element turns off the boiler water temp will start to drop as will the pressure. Looks like your boiler is already insulated so not much you can do about the cycling times.
LMWDP 267

slybarman

#3: Post by slybarman »

I cant speak for specifically to Rocket, but I have a Cuadra, which is also an E61 HX machine and it behaves same as you describe. The pressure pretty much constantly bounces between a high and low number - in my case about .90 and 1.05.

yakster
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by yakster »

One thing to note is that the pressure is related to the temperature. You're not so much losing pressure due to a leak, but the pressure is dropping as the temperature drops until it drops low enough to kick the heater on again. Here's erics' chart showing how temperature and pressure in a boiler are related as a function of altitude from the following thread:

How does high altitude affect brewing? - Tips and Techniques - Page 3 • Home-Barista.com

-Chris

LMWDP # 272

Robo5014 (original poster)

#5: Post by Robo5014 (original poster) »

Thanks. Makes sense that once the element is off pressure would drop. This unit has an insulated boiler but I'm guessing its more to insulate the parts around the boiler from the heat???

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

Here is a cyclic "curve" for a hx machine similar to the Rocket. The decline in pressure is due primarily to the condensation of the boiler's steam as the thermosyphon system is actively flowing through the heat exchanger while the machine is in an idle on-state.

Your pstat setting is relatively low (don't change anything as yet). Where in these United States are you located? You might want to change your profile a little. :)
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Robo5014 (original poster)

#7: Post by Robo5014 (original poster) »

I'm in the US, Virginia.