Help troubleshooting e61 turning on...

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
12steps

#1: Post by 12steps »

Hi,

Ive recently rebuilt an e61 and gotten everything working but its got a slight issue where about 1/2 the time when I turn the machine on nothing will happen. The other half of the time I will hear a faint *click* and the vibe pump will activate and all other functions will work as expected. Sometimes I will need to cycle the power switch to get it to function.

I assume the *click* is a solenoid?

Where do I start looking to troubleshoot this intermittent issue?

Thanks

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Next time it happens, use a voltmeter to see if power FROM the main switch is getting out of the switch.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
homeburrero
Team HB

#3: Post by homeburrero »

Randy G. wrote:Next time it happens, use a voltmeter to see if power FROM the main switch is getting out of the switch.
I'm not sure which ECM you have, but I'm guessing it has a light that indicates power on. If so, that light should tell you whether or not the switch is working.

Many of these (especially the old ECM Giotto classics) have intermittent problems with the reservoir sensor. If the reservoir sensor does not detect water, the controller shuts everything off (pump, auto-fill solenoid, and heater.) The faint clicking may well be the relay in the controller responding to that reservoir sensor's intermittent sense.

Let us know more precisely which ECM E-61 you have and that might help with more specific suggestions.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h

erics
Supporter ★

#4: Post by erics »

Let us know more precisely which ECM E-61 you have and that might help with more specific suggestions.
Better yet, take some x-rated pics of the internals, specifically the control box and the wiring diagram on it.

Do a site search on "ECM Giotto" and then further narrow that down using the term "Gicar".
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

12steps (original poster)

#5: Post by 12steps (original poster) »

Thanks for the feedback so far guys

This is a La Scala butterfly.
The light lights up when the power is turned on in both working/non working states.

I will get some pics tonight

Alan Frew

#6: Post by Alan Frew »

Dying relay in the brain box. You can get a replacement box here, http://www.espressoxxl.de/shop/artikel/ ... etail.html .

Alan