Help a one-armed barista? lol - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Psyd

#11: Post by Psyd »

The_Left_Hand wrote: Good call on giving a shop a ring.
The point was that they'll ask for that info so that they can provide better solutions. As novices, and amateurs, we're going to need all the help we can get.
So, where is the amputation, and what prosthetics, if any, do you regularly use?
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

The_Left_Hand (original poster)

#12: Post by The_Left_Hand (original poster) »

Right arm, above the elbow. I'm hoping to get the i-Limb when it becomes coded for insurance coverage.

On a completely separate note, I asked my girlfriend to Marry Me at the Downtown Cincinnati Coffee Emporium today with a heart-poured macchiato with a question mark in it and a ring on her demitasse spoon... she said yes, of course!

Brilliant!

Have a great day, gentlemen.
Best to you and yours,
-Jeremy
—"What's sleep?"

Advertisement
Alan Frew

#13: Post by Alan Frew »

Psyd wrote:My knee-jerk response to these is to shun them, but that's probably because my first combo machine was total crap and was returned within a week. I know, not useful input.
OTOH, it sounds as if you were asking for advice on how to get the machine to work well with a one armed operator? Call any OT shop, and the first questions they'll ask is where is the amputation, and what kind of (if any) prosthetics you tend to use.
Other than that, though, I have nothing...
I've got a couple of thousand of these machines scattered around Australia and my advice would be to leave the machine be. The grinder doesn't need modding and doesn't seem to suffer from excessive static, even with the plastic chute. This design would have to be the most successful combination machine ever built; machines I sold in 1996 are still in daily use.

Alan

sweaner

#14: Post by sweaner »

The_Left_Hand wrote:On a completely separate note, I asked my girlfriend to Marry Me at the Downtown Cincinnati Coffee Emporium today with a heart-poured macchiato with a question mark in it and a ring on her demitasse spoon... she said yes, of course!
Congrats!
Scott
LMWDP #248

Psyd

#15: Post by Psyd »

The_Left_Hand wrote: On a completely separate note, I asked my girlfriend to Marry Me at the Downtown Cincinnati Coffee Emporium today with a heart-poured macchiato with a question mark in it and a ring on her demitasse spoon... she said yes, of course!
Nice. If you'd a gotten pics, you coulda been a legend in coffeedom! ; >
Congrats on the impending nuptuials brother!

Yep, knowing that you've got somethign to brace agains on the right will change a lot of suggestions on techniques. Although, I do like the footpedal solutions as well. I'd suggest getting a double-kick/highhat setup and put the triggers on those, ala the one armed king of drums, Rick Allen
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

The_Left_Hand (original poster)

#16: Post by The_Left_Hand (original poster) »

Thanks to all.

I do have pics, actually -how could I let that moment pass without grabbing a bit of it to save?

The macchiato -the heart and the question mark had shifted by this time:

And the ring, of course:

But enough of that.

About the foot peddle: that would just be too cool for school. I've considered it for my Brewtus. But one wonders about losing a lot of control... Right now I just gently clamp on a pair of vice grips and use it as a lever for my residual right-limb. Prosthetics seem out of the question right now, as I've what's called chronic pain syndrome from the amputation and it's just too painful.

I may have been jumping the gun with modding this little machine. The fiance really seems to like it as it is. Please forgive my erratic behavior in posting this; perhaps I just had a lot on my mind at the time and was working off of excess excitement.

Still, it's great to finally speak to you guys. There are some great suggestions I'll definitely keep in mind.
Now if only my Autotamp will arrive... I should have my whole process streamlined -with an eliminated variable to boot.
—"What's sleep?"

IMAWriter

#17: Post by IMAWriter »

The_Left_Hand wrote:I tried many times to be specific with the thread title. But the similar posts message thwarted me. I looked at the posts that purported to be similar in topic, but didn't see a clear inlet to these issues. So I just went with it -adding the lol, as I vaguely amused myself with the knee-jerk title choice.
:D
Jeremy, in truth, Dan was directing much of his commentary towards ME. :lol:
I'm notoriously oblique with thread titles, often going for the chuckle, when, as Dan said, to the subject directly works best.

Dan, I'm working on it.
Jeremy, your girlfriend is lucky to have as considerate a "steady" as you. Hope she enjoys the espresso as much as you.

Whoops...update...congrats!