Help! Can't Prevent Drips Portafilter Handle

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
justin123

#1: Post by justin123 »

I'm at my wits end trying to prevent drips down my portafilter handle. Here's my setup/technique:
- Baratza Various
- Expobar Brewtus-IV
- VST 20 g
- Espro Calibrated Tamper VST Version
- Naked PF
- OE funnel

I weigh 20 g out, although I've been trying 19 since it requires aggressive tapping to get it level and it seems overdosed with a heavy basket impression around the edge. Grind into basket with funnel, stir with dissection needle, level with old card with light taps to fit dose into basket, 5 lbs light tap, 30 pound tap.

I've pulled gasket out and cleaned it. Scrubbed inside of E61 with caffiza and back flushed. Grinder cleaned by dissambly/vacuum weekly. Portafilter is locked tight but cannot make it to 6 o clock, only 4 or 5.

When I look at puck I see evidence of channeling I think and certainly there is the odd jet in some shots.

I haven't been "happy" with my various since moving. I don't think the movers packed it appropriately and I found I needed to order shims for it after. Its such a common refrain to blame the grinder I'm looking for any advice before I talk myself into a new grinder.

Thoughts?

LukeFlynn

#2: Post by LukeFlynn »

Could be worn burrs if you had to add shims. Is the drip coming from around the body of the PF or from the basket?

justin123 (original poster)

#3: Post by justin123 (original poster) »

I think I have seen both but usually the basket. I will keep track and confirm.

uscfroadie
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by uscfroadie »

Sounds like you need a $5 portafilter gasket. These need to be changed every 6 months to a year depending on use. When did you last change yours?

The silicone ones from Cafelat last longer that stock rubber.
LukeFlynn wrote:Could be worn burrs if you had to add shims.
He's talking about the shims that make the detents more pronounced on the adjustment levers, not shims under the burrs. Blaming a grinder for a leak around the portafilter is like blaming a flat tire for the cause of your car not starting.

Cheers!
Merle

justin123 (original poster)

#5: Post by justin123 (original poster) »

Didn't realize they could wear out so fast! I have Cafelat Red Inbound and I'll post back on whether it is successful!