Heating Element Burnout

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
wsfarrell

#1: Post by wsfarrell »

I just discovered that my recently-acquired '73 Europiccola has a burned-out 200W element. It's not a short: I took the machine apart and noted a couple of nasty splits in the smaller element. I'm wondering why these elements burn out when run dry in espresso machines, but not in ovens or stovetops. It's my understanding that they all use Calrod elements--insulated nichrome wire in a metal sheath--and it's obvious that stoves and ovens run dry for decades without issues. What gives?

RE*AC*TOR

#2: Post by RE*AC*TOR »

Short answer is watt density.

Lower watt density can dissipate enough heat in air.

I would presume most oven elements are much larger (surface area) than comparable submersed elements of similar power.

Randy G.

#3: Post by Randy G. »

An element for an espresso machine is created for the specific purpose of being used under water. Goals would be fast recovery and fast response. Water is very dense and can absorb the thermal energy quickly, particularly when the vessel is sealed and under pressure.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

homeburrero
Team HB

#4: Post by homeburrero »

RE*AC*TOR wrote:Short answer is watt density.
Randy G. wrote:An element for an espresso machine is created for the specific purpose of being used under water.
+1

In addition to being able to use a somewhat higher watt density, water immersion elements can use a low temp sheath material like copper (350F) because the sheath is never much hotter than the surrounding water. Ovens would use alloy sheath materials that withstand much higher temperatures.
Pat
nínádiishʼnahgo gohwééh náshdlį́į́h