Have you used all 3 classes of equipment? - Page 2

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
sweaner

#11: Post by sweaner »

My coffee evolution started well before espresso, as I imagine it did for most of us. I then discovered Single Serve Coffee. Better than most coffee available. I bought a used DeLonghi to try brewing standard coffee pods with. It worked, including fake crema from the PPF.

I then literally accidentally won a Gaggia Carezza on eBay. Well, I now had a real espresso machine, so away I went. Found a nice La San Marco grinder which was vetoed...too big. Hence the Mazzer Mini.

Saw a used Vetrano on eBay but lost the auction. Amazingly, a month later found another for $600. After a trip through Chris Coffee I was into step 3.

Two weeks ago I celebrated my 50th at Rojo's Roastery in Lambertville, NJ. There I got to play with a Robur E and a Nuova Simonelli Aurelia. By the way, I failed the final, pulling a 3 ounce sinker in 25 seconds.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Bluecold

#12: Post by Bluecold »

-Moka (+preground)
-Brikka (+preground)
-Dienes Solida 530 (+Brikka)
-La Peppina (+Dienes)
So just consumer stuff. Should i feel inadequate?
LMWDP #232
"Though I Fly Through the Valley of Death I Shall Fear No Evil For I am at 80,000 Feet and Climbing."

Gus (original poster)

#13: Post by Gus (original poster) »

No, this is not about inadequacy. It is more about the enjoyment of gaining experience across a broad spectrum of equipment. Up until a week ago I had not used a commercial machine, while I did not feel inadequate about it, I was very curious.

Now I have a personal point of reference, albeit limited, when a discussion arises I will get more out of it and possibly have an opportunity to comment.
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

aindfan

#14: Post by aindfan »

I've used the following:

Home: Gaggia Espresso - takes some TLC to get good shots and they're a bit hit or miss. But the great ones are GREAT (as an example, I got pure sugar from a shot of Gimme Leftist once). Steam works well enough for me with the Silvia Steam wand but I can't quite get it right.

Home #2: Ponte Vecchio Lusso - Tasty and generally spot-on shots. Steams like a beast, in my (very limited) experience (and by that I mean it just doesn't run out of steam with the valve fully open).

Commercial: I had a chance to use a Dalla Corte Evolution 3 group for two shots and two pitchers of water with soap (a local cafe owner let me give it a try and gave a few tips). The steam I couldn't get right (not the "magic easy steaming" I've heard commercial machines are supposed to have, but then again this wasn't a Marzocco) and the shot, the owner said, was acceptable enough for a cafe (though not amazing). Note that this was a shot of leftist ground on my Le'Lit PL53 grinder into the double basket, leveled by sweeping across the top of the basket with a knife, and tamped... well enough? Also, the temperature could not be changed because it was set for their espresso blend. EDIT: I should mention that the Le'Lit setting from the Gaggia produced a 25sec 2oz shot on the Dalla Corte.

So, unfortunately I don't have quite enough experience across the range of machines, but I'd certainly be happy to keep trying as many different types as I can.

NYC cafes: if you're reading this, please let me know when I can stop by after hours for a few lessons on your expensive equipment. </wishful thinking>
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203
PSA: Have you descaled lately?

Gus (original poster)

#15: Post by Gus (original poster) »

Psyd wrote:The trick is to jam toothpicks in four of the holes, and cut them off flush with the steam tip.
How much time does it take to steam 3 to 4 oz using this technique?
Gus

Insert catchy phrase of choice here

malachi

#16: Post by malachi »

It's really not necessary (or I'd argue advisable).
I've spent a ton of time steaming small amounts of milk on a 3 grp Linea (with stock 4 hole tip and acorn-style 4 hole tip) and on a 3 grp (and 5 grp) Mistral (with bullet-style 4 hole tip).
It just takes practice - especially if you're used to low pressure home machines.
What's in the cup is what matters.

AndyS

#17: Post by AndyS »

Phaelon56 wrote: pulled shots with a three phase Robur grinder and the new Kees Van der Westen Speedster
Damn! Sounds like a nice combo. How was it? ;-)
-AndyS
VST refractometer/filter basket beta tester, no financial interest in the company

cbrucecampbell

#18: Post by cbrucecampbell »

Gus wrote:How much time does it take to steam 3 to 4 oz using this technique?
I have a 5 liter Astoria JUN with all the tip holes plugged save one. My normal AM latte uses ~4oz of whole milk.

10-12 seconds, max.

I keep reading about how I ought to be able to steam that small a pitcher with all five holes blasting. So far I'm not buying it. Way too hard. I can foam, but nowhere near the quality I can get w/the tip throttled.
Bruce Campbell

laservet

#19: Post by laservet »

First Stage -- Gaggia Classic, Gaggia MDF

Next -- ECM Giotto, Mazzer Mini

Current -- LM GS/3, Versalab M3

Another Gus

darrensandford

#20: Post by darrensandford »

I find that steaming a small amount is all about knowing when to stop. I certainly haven't mastered it. When it takes around 5 seconds to steam a small amount of milk, there is very little margin for error.