Has anyone else encountered this problem with Speedster

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
EdwardM

#1: Post by EdwardM »

I have a 3 year old speedster and just recently, the steam boiler pressure has been playing up (i.e. there is occasionally no pressure for steaming). I have to turn machine off, leave for a minute or so and then try again. Then steam boiler pressure comes back to life.

Having spoken with the ever-so-helpful people at EspressonisticWorks, they think it's a faulty SSR (as does a local technician who looked at my machine). These things are cheap and very easy to install so its not really an issue at all, given it's run like a dream since I bought it.

However, the red LED on the Steam Boiler temperature controller is also faulty - the digits are not displaying correctly.

I'm not sure if it's just a faulty display, and the actual controller is working fine, but I'm going to replace the temp controller too. This is slightly more expensive, but nothing near the cost of a PID.

I'm just wondering if any other speedster owners/users have had this issue and can offer advice.

Billc

#2: Post by Billc »

Edward,
Can you tell me if the steam boiler is controlled by a pressure switch or a temperature controller?
When you first turn on the machine and it warms up, you open the valve and only a small amount of steam comes out?

If this is the case then it could be a faulty vacuum breaker. Essentially air gets trapped in the boiler and heats up. Then when you open the valve the hot air is pushed out. Then water vapor takes its place and takes a while before steam is available again.

BillC