Grouphead idle temperature is 232F. Why so hot?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
RonMJ

#1: Post by RonMJ »

I am using EricS thermometer in the group head. After about an hour the thermometer reads 232F.

The Portafilter is attached. The boiler is set at 1.2. Machine: Faema Carisma

I've read a lot of posts here on using the EricS thermometer, and 232F idle seems way way too hot even with the machine set at 1.2. Anyone have any idea what's going on? Thanks

EDIT: I dropped it to 1.0 bar. The temp hit 228.5F. Is this considered 'too hot'?

erics
Supporter ★

#2: Post by erics »

Yes, that is waaaaay too high. On this machine you set boiler temperature and the boiler pressure is scaled from that. There is no direct reading of boiler pressure . . . just data on a chip.

I would set the boiler temp to 250 F and give the grouphead at least 30 minutes to react to this change.

I assume you have downloaded the manual for the thermometer. All thermometers sold through the Chris' Coffee site are within 1.5 degrees of true temperature as tested/described in the manual.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

RonMJ (original poster)

#3: Post by RonMJ (original poster) »

Eric,

It is set at 250F.

Ron

RonMJ (original poster)

#4: Post by RonMJ (original poster) »

Anyone else have any suggestions?

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

You can test the thermometer as described in the manual or you can send it to me and I will test (gratis) and replace if necessary. All of my contact info is in the manual.

I certainly have no experience with that particular machine but something is amiss with that boiler setting and that very high grouphead temperature.
Skål,

Eric S.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

I have sold temperature measuring devices to two other Carisma owners. One is reporting temperatures similar to yours and the other is more in line with what I would expect . . . keeping in mind I have no specific experience with this machine.

You need to keep in mind all the other variables surrounding this "problem". Sensor accuracy, thermometer accuracy, location altitude, and, perhaps others all enter into the equation.

I'm thinking now that the boiler temperature sensor is at fault but I am working with your dealer to sort this problem out and drive it to ground. Obviously, if the thermometer is at fault, it will be replaced gratis.

Any sort of flush at the grouphead temps you are reporting would result in loads of steam, steam, and more steam coming from the group. A video from you and/or acknowledgement of same would be beneficial.
Skål,

Eric S.

RonMJ (original poster)

#7: Post by RonMJ (original poster) »

I decided to return the Carisma and get a La Spaziale S1 Dream T double boiler machine.