Group gasket on Gaggia Classic pops out under pressure

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Weez

#1: Post by Weez »

I decided to replace the group gasket because the previous one was simply just too old. Anyway, after replacing the gasket it pops out every time the Gaggia is under pressure when steaming milk. Because the problem didn't go away I figured that I just bought a bad gasket even though everything looked fine from the beginning. So, I bought another gasket - first try went ok; next try resulted in the same problem as before.

I'm a missing something here? Do my Gaggia require some serious cleaning? Or is it the gasket?

Weez (original poster)

#2: Post by Weez (original poster) »

Is overpressure a possibility? The machine is quite old and I've had all sorts of problems. I've been experiencing some "clicking-noises" now as well that I've haven't heard before...:/

gor

#3: Post by gor »

Hey Weez,

I had the same problem when I used commercial Gaggia grp gaskets on a domestic machine (baby Gaggia). They have a slighly rounded inner edge on one face which helps with installation. The rounded edge needs to be installed facing into the group and not facing out. If they are installed facing out, then they can 'pop' out when the group is pressurised such as when making coffee.

The domestic gaskets don't have this edge and are held in place better by the distribution plate in your machine. Maybe you might need to use this type of gasket, especially if your distribution plate has been affected by corrosion or get a new plate as well.

Above is pic of the distribution plate.

I'm also confused by your description of it happening when you steam. This can only happen on a machine that doesn't have a 3-valve (such as the Gaggia espresso model) and you would need to have the portafilter in the group, complete with spent coffee puck to be the seal, for that to happen while you are steaming (group being pressurised due to leking steam past the rubber grommet). This shows that the spring and grommet in the group needs to be changed as well.

Hope this helps.