Got a new Oscar - questions about installing OPV and 'trick switch'

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
jeebsy

#1: Post by jeebsy »

I got an Oscar recently and have a few questions being a relative newbie (had a Classic for four months before this). Would be great if you guys could help out.

A) what's the best way to put a hole in the casing for the OPV pipe (as per http://www.elektros.it/OPV_en.pdf)?
B) I need to turn the machine upside down to do this. Going to take the tank out obviously, but should I drain the machine completely before? If so what's the best way to do that?
C) The previous owner installed a switch to prevent the heating element kicking in while pulling a shot. I read a lot of stuff about HX machines on here before deciding to go for the Oscar and this wasn't something that seemed to be an issue. The guy said it's really easy to reverse if I don't like it. At the moment it seems unnecessary and a bit awkward if anything - if I leave the switch the wrong way it won't heat up on the time in the morning, for example. Is this worth keeping?

My shots so far have also had a hole in them:

Some seem to channel badly, others have been fine. Any ideas?

Thanks

Jeebsy

jeebsy (original poster)

#2: Post by jeebsy (original poster) »

Got an 8ml iron tip but from the hardware shop to go through the case

plindy

#3: Post by plindy »

please show a picture of the switch , location

which wires did he use?

FinnLight

#4: Post by FinnLight »

The switch is not necessary. Instead get the gicleurs for musica installed to your oscar. You can get them from elektros.

From the pic it looks like you have a dispersion screen problem. Unscrew the screen and clean it up. When installing it back try not to get the brass disc holes directly on top of the water inlet hole. Learn to backflush with a blind disk.

jeebsy (original poster)

#5: Post by jeebsy (original poster) »

OPV installed, shower screen and brass plate cleaned and i'm not getting the issue with the puck any more.

I asked the previous owner about reversing his mod and he said to take the wires from the switch - originally the ones that connect the bottom of the cold water tank - and just plug them back into the connections at the bottom of the reservoir. I did this but the pump doesn't come on when like that - it only works with the switch which is designed to tricking the machine into thinking there's low water in my understanding.

Is there a reason why, even with the wires back in the stock place, it would continue to think this?

Edit: a few people have said it can be awkward to get the reservoir seated and air bubbles trapped in the valve can stop the machine thinking there's water in the tank.

Nuova Simonelli Oscar thinks it has no water

https://www.coffeegeek.com/forums/espre ... nes/634725