Got new handles for my T1 but can't remove old ones

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cruzmisl

#1: Post by cruzmisl »

How the h@ll do you get the old ones off? Is there a trick to this? I'm sure I could use a wrench but I don't want to to damage the surface of the stock handles. Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks,
Joe

PS They look GREAT.

shadowfax

#2: Post by shadowfax »

Elbow grease and something grippy--like a damp towel. They are usually hooked on with thread glue, and this can be somewhat of a pain to get off. Baking your portafilters may help.
Nicholas Lundgaard

Advertisement
cruzmisl (original poster)

#3: Post by cruzmisl (original poster) »

I got one portafilter off but the biggest challenge is the steam and water knobs :evil:

shadowfax

#4: Post by shadowfax »

You should be able to hold the base of the knob with a 12mm wrench (IIRC), hold knob with said damp towel, and torque like crazy.
Nicholas Lundgaard

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

The steam and water wands have two small flat spots just behind the Bakelite handles for an open end wrench. When I removed my handles, I put a wrench on them and just grabbed the Bakelite with a pair of channel lock pliers and unscrewed them. You will mar up the handles but in my case, I did not care. I was never going to put them back on anyway. There is thread locker on them so they dont just come off. You have to put some muscle into it.
Dave Stephens

#6: Post by cruzmisl (original poster) »

MAN! Were those on tight. The portafilters came off fine but the steam/water handles were a huge PITA. I used one of my 1/4 thick rubber exercise bands, wrapped it around and broke the threadlocker with some channel locks. Got them off without a scratch. Machine looks awesome and I REALLY like the added length. I'll snap some photos in the morning sun.

Thanks for a great job Dave!

Psyd

#7: Post by Psyd »

When I have to remove something like that that I don't want to mar up, I usually get a short piece of strapping with a ring on the end. Wrap the strap around the handle, counter-clockwise, and then stick a 5b drumstick (or you could use a screwdriver if you don't know any drummers) in the ring and start tightening the band until the handle comes off.

Works for pipe, too.

(Hint: You can use a dog leash for some applications!)
Espresso Sniper
One Shot, One Kill

LMWDP #175

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

They actually make a strap wrench. It is a wrench handle with a chain or rubber strap attached with a pull tab to tighten it. You can get them at the hardware/auto store but for a one use thing they are a bit overkill.
Dave Stephens

#9: Post by cruzmisl (original poster) »

Hey Dave can I get a bezel to match around my brew buttons?

dsc

#10: Post by dsc »

Hi guys,

just as a tip for future knob converters, you can heat up the metal side of the handles by simply dropping them in some boiling water. Afterwards grab the handle through a piece of rubber, the metal bit with a wrench and it should come off easily.

Regards,
dsc.