Good Steam Tip for Isomac Millenium

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
boston coffee party

#1: Post by boston coffee party »

Can anyone suggest a good Steam Tip for an Isomac Millenium? While I am sure my skills could be improved I am not having much success with the stock tip.

Thanks!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Isomac has used different steam tips over the years. The barrel shaped one is difficult to work with unless you like airy cappuccinos. The newer ridged pointy two-holed steam tip is easier to use, though the ridges are hard to clean if you don't wipe it immediately. For an easy low-volume tip, try the Gold Pro II or Chris' Coffee "New" Isomac 2 Hole Steam Tip with Smaller Holes. EspressoParts.com sells a two-hole steam tip that also fits Isomacs and is very easy to use:

Dan Kehn

Advertisement
boston coffee party (original poster)

#3: Post by boston coffee party (original poster) »

I tried Chris's 2 Hole Steam Tip with smaller holes, but I think they are a tad too small. Invariably one gets clogged a little and then you are down to 1 hole with any real pressure and it takes forever to steam any volume of milk. I will look into the Gold Pro II as it only costs $10.

Thank you,
Adam

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

I used a gold pro tip on my Millennium and it worked quite well. The steaming is a bit on the slow side but it gives you plenty of time to stretch the milk when you are learning. It would drive me crazy going back to it, it takes 15 seconds to froth now vs. the 40-50 seconds with the small tip on the Isomac.
Dave Stephens

#5: Post by boston coffee party (original poster) »

I know that 1st-line sells them, but I am rather put off by their minimum purchase amount for first time buyers especially in that their shipping rates are not cheap for a very light part. I don't want to waste money just to satisfy their minimum purchase requirements, but at the same time after your posting I did read good things about the gold pro 2.

thank you,
Adam

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

Several companies have a minimum purchase amount. Shipping is expensive, just fill up your gas tank, the shipping companies have to deal with the same issue. Shipping tends to be a flat rate up to a certain weight so if it a 12 ounce fitting or a 3 pound portafilter, the price is the same. You would have to take that up with UPS/FedEx/USPS etc...
Dave Stephens

1st-line
Sponsor

#7: Post by 1st-line »

boston coffee party wrote:I know that 1st-line sells them, but I am rather put off by their minimum purchase amount for first time buyers especially in that their shipping rates are not cheap for a very light part. I don't want to waste money just to satisfy their minimum purchase requirements, but at the same time after your posting I did read good things about the gold pro 2.

thank you,
Adam
Adam,

Sorry about the policy. Unfortunately, in our company, there is a cost associated with every order. Our internal cost is more for 1st time customers, and it is less for repeat customers. The $20 minimum is our break-even point for 1st time customers. I personally do not believe this is too much to ask as we do stock and offer lots of parts and smaller items.

If we had to process an order for a $1.99 gasket for a new customer, 1st-line, nor any other company, would last too long. Please think about it.... would anyone be willing to process, pick, pack, and ship an order for $1.49. Then add in your $0.20 for the credit card transaction fee, the 2.5% credit card processing fee, the cost of storage, the box, the handling of getting the part on the shelf, inventory it, pick it off the shelf, and so on and so on.... if the answer is yes, please contact me as I would happy to bring you on as a business associate to work at this extremely low profit margin.... probably less than minimum wage.....

Yes, we could raise the prices for all smaller items, but then this would be unfair to repeat customers.

As for shipping costs, 'it is what it is'. All the common carriers now charge up to 100 different types of service fees, including fuel service charges, residential delivery, delivery area surcharges... just to name a few....

Yes, USPS can be used, but there are 'other' costs associated with using their service which would force companies to charge more than the posted USPS rates.... at the end of the day, it would be the same....

I know there would be a number of members here ready to comment (which are welcome), but I sincerely ask any commentors to mention his/her experience running a large 'online' business from 'soup to nuts' before offering suggestions..... and, then please let us know the specifics.... As always, I am open to hear opinions and comments...
Jim Piccinich
www.1st-line.com
1st-line Equipment, LLC

Advertisement

#8: Post by boston coffee party (original poster) »

I understand and I really like supporting smaller shops / restaurants / stores etc and I did place the order and just asked that an additional $5 be added to up the cost. I just don't like buying extra just to buy extra as from a consumers point of view it is just wasteful. I don't want to beat it to death so will end there, I appreciate the fact that you source quality components and that is priceless and assuming a companies service is good I will definitely be a repeat and loyal customer. Once you have me hooked you will always have my business.

#9: Post by boston coffee party (original poster) »

First and foremost: I realize when I posted earlier on this thread it may have come off in perhaps grouchy tone and I wanted to publicly say that I just got the steam tip quickly once I ordered it in a nice box (as opposed to an envelope I might have used) with lots of peanuts and I appreciate the prompt and professional service as they say sometimes money is not everything.

Secondly, silly question, but why would steam come out more from one hole than another. I assume they are the same thickness, could something be built up in my steam pipe? I have noticed this from all my tips. Should I think about cleaning the pipe out?

#10: Post by boston coffee party (original poster) »

teflon tape on the threads and some cleaning of the fitting fixed the steam problem.