Giotto plumb in / rotary pump?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
VJHardcore

#1: Post by VJHardcore »

I have a 5 year old ECM Giotto - the new Rocket Giotto Professional has a plumb in water line and a rotary pump. Anyone show me / tell me which parts to get and how to install each of these in my Giotto to convert it?

It runs well - but a plumb in and quieter pump would be nice.

Mike
"I'm a man of simple tastes, only the best will do." Winston Churchill

VJHardcore (original poster)

#2: Post by VJHardcore (original poster) »

Wow ?! No one ?! I know its been done, but I'd like parts list, how to from someone whos done it?
"I'm a man of simple tastes, only the best will do." Winston Churchill

Juanjo

#3: Post by Juanjo »

is fairly easy if you are handy..

just disconnect the two cable from the vibe pump and connect them to the rotary (the rotary pump have a 3rd ground cable)

than take care of the vane, one hose to suck water and the other to the machine.

you can put a rotary pump pretty much to ANY machine ;)
good luck..
cheers,
Juanjo

gscace

#4: Post by gscace »

VJHardcore wrote:Wow ?! No one ?! I know its been done, but I'd like parts list, how too from someone whos done it?
Actually it's not necessarily all that straightforward. For example, Rotary pumps put out a lot more volume with lots quicker pressure ramp-up than vibe pumps do, so internal flow restrictors (gicleurs) may need to be installed if they do not exist. Your machine may already have check valves installed to prevent pressurized water backflow into the water mains, and maybe not. You are asking a lot of other people. My advice to you is to search for the internal diagrams on the internet for the machines that you are interested in. They may be available as parts schematics and may be on sites that sell parts, like Espresso Parts NW. Study the rotary pump and vibe pump versions, and learn how they work. Pay attention to any installed flow restrictors, and don't omit them. When you understand the differences in the two pump layouts, know what the costs is gonna be, and once you see the magnitude of the project you should ask yourself the question "Why do I really wanna do this?"

If it were me I'd run with the vibe pump and not bother with installing a rotary pump, unless I wanted an educational experience. Machines with rotary pump do not necessarily run better / produce better coffee. Search this site for "tale of two Juniors (possibly Jrs.)" to learn more. You need to understand what you are doing in order to pull this off successfully. In this case, I define successful as making coffee of equivalent quality after the conversion. I'm guessing that you don't sufficiently know what you are doing if you are asking what parts to get and how to install them. Please don't think I'm just blowing you off. It doesn't mean that you can't learn. It just means that you currently don't know.

If you're not up for educational experiences and being without coffee while you figure out how to do this, I suggest that you might just sell your current machine and buy a rotary pump machine, if you're jonesing for a rotary pump machine. Might be cheaper in the long run. It will certainly be less hassle.

-Greg