Giotto not maintaining boiler pressure

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
wimpee

#1: Post by wimpee »

Hi - I would really appreciate some help diagnosing this problem. Yesterday, my Giotto premium started behaving oddly. When turned on, it behaves normally for a while. If I come back 15 - 30 minutes, later it is at zero pressure and the temperature (via Eric's adapter) has dropped. At this point, the pump will still run, but no amount of fiddling will cause the heat to come back on. Cycling power immediately starts the heat again, and the cycle repeats.

I haven't been able to witness the problem occur - it gets pretty boring, and I've been been busy. But there hasn't been any evidence of massive steam escape or anything dramatic. This evening I will have time to watch closely - hope I don't miss the important moment!

Help appreciate,
wim

sweaner

#2: Post by sweaner »

I am sure someone will give the exact answer, but it seems as if the pressurestat is cycling off then not cycling on again. You need to watch for it to happen and report back.
Scott
LMWDP #248

Advertisement
chipman

#3: Post by chipman »

Are you sure your water reservoir wire is making a good connection?

wimpee (original poster)

#4: Post by wimpee (original poster) »

if the pressurestat is cycling off then not cycling on again
If this was the case, does it make sense that it comes back? Still trying to catch in the act so I can report back.
Are you sure your water reservoir wire is making a good connection
Usually the pump won't run if reservoir is empty, so I think this okay. Does that sound right?

thx,
wim

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

Am I correct in stating there is one light and one switch on the front of your Giotto? And that light comes on and stays on continuously when the machine is on? What if you syphon some water from the reservoir - will the light go out?

The various machines discussed on this forum have safety features which behave differently and it is entirely possible (maybe even probable) that a Giotto Premium mfg in the 90's is not like the Giotto of this decade. For example, when the water reservoir reaches a low level, the Vibiemme Domobar Super illuminates a light and cuts power to EVERYTHING else. Under the same condition, the Quickmill Anita cuts power to the heating element ONLY.

Do you feel comfortable with a volt-ohmmeter and can you post some pics of your machine's internals?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

jimmy

#6: Post by jimmy »

I have an ECM Cellini which is basically the same as your Giotto and I have the same problem. Jim, From 1st line just emailed me this:
I think you have a clogged bleeder valve - looks similar to

http://www.1st-line.net/cgi-bin/categor ... type=store

and is on top of your boiler after you remove the top covers. with unit cold and depressurized, remove nut, take off c-clip holding center pin and descale all 3 pieces overnight. in the morning, rinse, and then lube the center shaft with a small coat of olive oil. reassemble and place back on.

make sure to not loose any pieces.
Maybe this is your problem. I'm going to open mine up today.

Good luck! James

wimpee (original poster)

#7: Post by wimpee (original poster) »

Eric - Yes, there is one light and one switch on the front of the machine. Yes, I can post photos and I'm comfortable with a meter. In the past, if the reservoir is empty, then power is cut to the pump. The power is not being cut to the pump in this case.

James - thanks for passing the info along - I'm skeptical that I have the same problem for a number of reasons. Firstly, in the past, when that valve has been stuck, the machine showed full pressure on the gauge but had none in the boiler. In this case, the gauge shows zero. Secondly, turning the power switch on and off temporarily fixes the problem, and I don't think this would be the case if it was stuck valve.

Thanks all - I await your further instructions (and hunting for the aeropress in the meantime to get a fix).

wim

Advertisement
wimpee (original poster)

#8: Post by wimpee (original poster) »

1) In addition to being able to get things working again by flicking the power switch, I was also able to do it by running hot water when this caused the pump to run for refill.

2) I tried to the tilting trick to help fill the boiler - this results in a longer pressurestat cycle times and seems to cause the problem to take longer to occur. Maybe ?

3) I finally caught it in the act of failing. There was the usual very audible click when pressure dropped to the expected level but no subsequent sound of water heating. I think this rules out the pressurestat as the culprit.

Perhaps something to do with water level sensor?

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

Still waiting on those R rated pictures - lots of shots of the inside similar to this:

A pic of the circuit diagram on your Gicar controller would be nice.
Does the front panel light go out when the problem occurs?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

wimpee (original poster)

#10: Post by wimpee (original poster) »

Finally back on line!!!

Eric - the light stays on. I tried the boiler trick (tilting to force re-fill) again and it consistently causes an auto-fill followed by heating for a while.