Getting started with Brasilia Century espresso machine

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MaryHen

#1: Post by MaryHen »

First off--I am completely new to espresso machines and new to using forums. We recently moved into a home that came with a beautiful Rosito Bisani espresso machine. It is a "Century" model. The owner said the machine works, but it just needs to be "serviced". I'm hoping this just means a good cleaning and de-scaling???? The machine is plumbed into the water source and drain. I know nothing about espresso, aside from ordering it occasionally--and nothing about the inner workings of an espresso machine. I would really love to learn how to use the machine and make espresso. I welcome any "getting started" tips you have to offer. Thanks

boar_d_laze

#2: Post by boar_d_laze »

Hi Mary,

Welcome to the madhouse.

Your machine is a Brasilia not a Bisani. Rosito Bisani is a retailer/service operation with a west-coast operation on La Brea, in the mid-Wilshire district, and not a manufacturer. It seems likely they sold the machine to the original owner, and that they should be your first call; (323) 937-1888.

No way to know what kind of service your machine needs without opening it up and looking. In addition to Brisani, because Brasilias were so popular here, there are probably quite a few good tech familiar with them in SoCal. At a guess, Dave at HiTech Espresso (located near Silverlake/Echo Park) is among them. If he does Brasilias, with the offer of ... oh I don't know, maybe ... money, he can be prevailed upon to make a house call; (877) 286-2833.

In addition to the pros, there are any number of knowledgeable H-B members in SoCal who might be willing to visit. I'd offer but don't know enough about machine mechanics to really be of use. However, when you get to the basic "barista lessons" stage, let me know.

Pasquini (near downtown LA on Olympic) used to rep Brasilia. Brisani notwithstanding, Pasquini might still be the best place for parts in SoCal; (213) 739-0480. Another, non-local but US source is Espressoparts.com.

If you want the fastest, and least painless way to developing high level barista skills -- it's private lessons. The best in SoCal are from Heather Perry at Klatch Coffee. She's expensive, but well worth it.

In addition to your lovely machine, you'll need a grinder. Plan on spending at least $1000 for a new grinder of similar quality to your Brasilia. Once you get your espresso machine up and running, I can lend you something suitable until you figure out what you want to buy.

Rich
Drop a nickel in the pot Joe. Takin' it slow. Waiter, waiter, percolator

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Also, more basically, this is a commercial machine, plugged into 220V and running about 3000 to 4000 watts peak consumption. It takes about an hour to warm up, and is designed to be left on all day, when it will consume roughly the same amount of power as a 300 watt lamp or an oven at baking temperature.

An alternative strategy to putting it into service is to sell it and replace it with a good quality single group machine (one with only one coffee dispenser). The only way you would regret this is if you really get into espresso making and either do a lot of entertaining, or need the two groups(espresso dispensers) to do side by side testing.
Jim Schulman

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

If I am not mistaken, that entire grain silo top is cosmetic. It has no functional purpose other than to look interesting. It is a power hog but it will keep the room nice and warm in the cold winter. It probably has a 12 liter boiler. I would say Jim's estimate of one hour heat-up is ambitious. I had a 2 group and it was a 2-3 hour warm up. The boiler will get hot in an hour but to stablise all 120 pounds needs to hit thermal equilibrium. I could turn it off when I left for work in the morning and it was still hot to the touch when I got home in the evening. I ran my machine 24/7 for about a year then down sized to a commercial single group.
Dave Stephens

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

That right group, either the gasket is shot or there is no basket in the portafilter. It should not turn that far to the right.
Dave Stephens

cuppajoe

#6: Post by cuppajoe »

The OP is in SoCal, which pretty much covers Santa Barbara down to the Mexican border, and the hinterlands of San Bernardino to Newport Beach. In any case, a 'cold winter' would be in the mid 60s and they'd probably have to run the air-con even in November when the thing is running.

If their credentials are kosher, seems the best course would be to trade it for something a bit more newbie friendly. I know that when I started a year or so ago spending $1k on a grinder was lunacy. If I were to keep it, the limpet on top would have to go...

If undecided, another course would be to put it in the garage and get something more reasonable to learn on, then decide whether it make sense to use it or not. If doing a lot of entertaining, leave it set up and let the caterers provide the barista.

Nice machine in any case, but will probably need a complete going through, even if just sitting for several years.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

bluesman

#7: Post by bluesman »

Wow - we need the name of your realtor!

Even if you never use it, you're now inspired to achieve 'spresso greatness. But I agree with David (and not just because we share a name). Although it's a really neat piece, it's a bit much for a novice and kinda like being given a Cane Corso or Presa Canario for your first dog. It may well cost as much for a routine service visit as a nice, new single group home-pro machine if you need parts & repairs. And skimping on repairs & maintenance is a big mistake that'll just cost more when it comes back around to bite you.

If you just love the way it looks, and you want to learn about making great coffee, get yourself a good, small machine like a Silvia or my little Lelit and put in the time. Once you know where you're headed, you can have your Brasilia brought up to spec and enjoy it or you can sell it and enjoy your new little friend. Another 6 months won't change whatever the big guy needs, so you have nothing to lose. You can sell the new one down the line, too. Coffee brings a lifetime of pleasure and adventure!

OzarkTroutBum

#8: Post by OzarkTroutBum »

Interesting story. I've moved into places that had "amenities" but never a 2 group semi auto!

MaryHen (original poster)

#9: Post by MaryHen (original poster) »

Thanks Rich et all for the information. The machine did come with a commercial grinder (see attached). I don't know the maker of the grinder, but the instructions look Italian and it weighs 30 lbs. I am enthused to learn how to use the machine for my occasional entertaining, but I do think the dome and eagle on top adds a nice touch to the bar! My daughter had a friend visit tonight who has barista experience. She was able to get one pull through and then the rest were dribbles. The milk steamers work, though. She taught me the basics. I will investigate getting a technician out. Looking forward to trying a shot!

PS: I'll keep in mind that I can use it as a heat source if the gas furnance breaks down!

bluesman

#10: Post by bluesman »

Keep in mind that cleanliness is truly next to godliness in the coffee world, Mary. After sitting for months to years, your machine and grinder need thorough cleaning to ensure the best possible output. It's absolutely worth paying a pro to do this the first time, especially if he or she lets you follow the process and teaches you what you can do and what to use to best maintain it yourself.

Enjoy that baby - it's truly cool !!