Gaggia Twin Keeps Shutting Down

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
brokemusician77

#1: Post by brokemusician77 »

A friend of mine bought a used Baby Twin a few months ago, and has recently started having trouble with it. He writes:

"any idea why my gaggia keeps shutting down on me? It get's nicely warmed up, and then shuts off--I have to unplug it for 10 minutes or so, and then it works for a few minutes again, but shuts off abruptly, even in the middle of a shot.
Is this overheating? If so, any idea why or a solution?"

Any thoughts?
"There's a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Anon.
LMWDP #326

JmanEspresso

#2: Post by JmanEspresso »

Thats very odd.

I can only think of two things.

First.. It could be as simple as a short somewhere.. Might want to open up the machine and make sure all the connections are good, no corrosion or anything like that.

COULD also be the high limit thermostat needs to be replaced.

brokemusician77 (original poster)

#3: Post by brokemusician77 (original poster) »

JmanEspresso wrote: COULD also be the high limit thermostat needs to be replaced.
That's kinda what I thought. Thermostat is kaput, which causes it to overheat, and then trips some kind of an overheat fuse.
"There's a fine line between hobby and mental illness." - Anon.
LMWDP #326

tomeriksen

#4: Post by tomeriksen »

I have the same problem. After leaving it turned on for about 15 minutes a relay snaps on inside and then the machine just dies. After 30-60 minutes the machine works again - but just for a while.

It seems like this could be heat related. Where is the thermostat located? Where do I find spare parts?