Gaggia TS Overheat Protection Tripping Early

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
Tio Tom

#1: Post by Tio Tom »

I just bought a 'freight-damaged' Gaggia TS off of Ebay at an excellent price. It turned out that it is new but suffered a bad fall at some point. Fortunately nothing was actually broken, just badly distorted piping, etc. The only glitch is that the re-settable overheat device kicks out very early during warm-up and does not allow the boiler to come up to temperature. I jumped it out and everything works fine. I pulled the actual device and although the housing did receive a blow, the internals look good, no distortion, cracks, etc. It is directly connected by means of a heat transfer wire to a sensor inserted into the heating element. Does anyone have experience with something like this? I have several espresso machines that I have restored/repaired but I have never seen this type of overheating protection. The photos below detail the actual device with details of its internals. I did see that there is an adjustment screw that I suppose allows it to be calibrated to the 153 degrees C. which is what is printed on the housing. I have no way to test it so at present it gets jumped out and away we go. Thanks. TB