Gaggia TD trips the circuit breaker when plugged in

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
benvp

#1: Post by benvp »

Hello everyone! I've just purchased a second-hand Gaggia TD. It looks like a solid single group machine, and was manufactured in 2002.

Now the problem: as soon as I plug in the machine (when it is turned off), the house's circuit breaker trips and all the electricity in the house goes off. I tried plugging the machine into different sockets and also changing the plug, but nothing's changed. Is there any possibility that there could be an easy solution? The vendor will still take the machine back...

It would be great if some forum members with more experience in restoring machines could help out! Thanks!!! It'd be a shame to send the machine back, it looks pretty neat!

duke-one

#2: Post by duke-one »

If it trips the house main then there is a "solid" ground or short somewhere in the machine. Probably zero ohms line to line or line to ground. If it is covered by a warrenty of some kind the seller should take care of it. If you are comfortable with electric work make sure the line cord is properly connected at the terminal block, for a start. Next I'd look at the main switch for some major fault or miss-wiring. That it trips the breaker with the switch off should help localize the trouble. Also look for wires pinched in the sheet metal or frame rails.
Duke

nasdak

#3: Post by nasdak »

It's likely to be a shortcut in one heating element.
Don't try to solve it unless you know yourself in electricity...

I had the same problem recently, had to dismantle the boiler and dry the heating element in a oven for 3 hours.

good luck !