Gaggia portafilter lock is tight

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
janszoon

#1: Post by janszoon »

Hi,

If looking down from above the machine:

I load and lock the portafilter, it gets to about 8'Oclock (going anticlockwise) and things get a bit tight (expected) then I need to almost set an All Black Scrum to get it around to 6 O'clock (90degrees).

I realize you want a tight fit, but it seems a bit too tight?

Any ideas?

J

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

Yes, that seems too tight. The PF should go to six o'clock without having to give yourself a hernia.

Maybe someone put the wrong thickness of gasket in the group head. Or possibly the filter lip is a bit too thick.
Lock and load!

Advertisement
JR_Germantown

#3: Post by JR_Germantown »

Which Gaggia is this, and what basket are you using? My old Coffee has trouble with my triple basket--the rim is slightly thicker on it.

Jack

Ed Hill

#4: Post by Ed Hill »

Does it react the same with the basket empty? My portafilter gets difficult to turn if i overdose the basket.
Kurt

EspressoExpress

#5: Post by EspressoExpress »

Hi Janszoon,
You may know this already in which case please disregard. Most group head gaskets are 70something X 50something X 8 or 8.5 or 9 or 9.5

The greater the smaller number (the 8, 8.5, or 9) the thicker -in height- the gasket is. That's because in time the group head and portafilter will wear down and a thicker gasket is needed to make up the difference so that the portafilter will fit snug.

With that in mind, you may have a much thicker gasket than needed. You can take the gasket out and see what the size is and adjust accordingly. Should that be the case, you've just solved the problem for about $6 or $7 plus shipping.

Ish