Gaggia Coffee deluxe and using pods

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
nikola_bb

#1: Post by nikola_bb »

Hi i have a small problem with my gaggia. When i use grinded coffee the extraction is good, but when i try to use espresso pod i get very very slow extraction. What could be the problem?
I have opv valve adjusted on 9,5bar and i get around 90ml of water with no portafilter(i suppose the pump is ok)

EricBNC

#2: Post by EricBNC »

Maybe you are tightening the portafilter too tight - Try stopping short of your normal mark and see if the extraction speeds up for you. Good Luck!
LMWDP #378
Author of "The Bell Curve: Instructions for Proper Herd Mentality"

geoffbeier

#3: Post by geoffbeier »

I think I recall hearing that ESE pods are intended for use in machines adjusted to 11 bar. I couldn't find the reference for that right away, though. Unfortunately, that means that you're unlikely to get good results with both pods and freshly ground coffee unless you adjust the pressure when you switch. I personally would prefer to just forego the pods rather than do that.

EricBNC

#4: Post by EricBNC »

I have a couple machines that are "pod capable". The instructions call for tightening the portafilter if the flow is too fast, and to loosen the portafilter if the flow is too slow. The pressure of the pod against the shower head varies depending on the pressure applied. Not all ESE pods are alike either - darker roast pods are thicker than lighter roast pods even though the weight can be the same. The only compaction adjustment available to compensate for this difference in bulk using the same filter basket is the pressure applied by the operator.
LMWDP #378

geoffbeier

#5: Post by geoffbeier »

If it's a coffee deluxe running with pressure measured at 9.5 bar, though, this is a machine that has been modified by an owner to lower pressure at the group versus what it shipped with. Which is usually 11-12 bar. The explanation I've heard for that is that ESE pods expect it according to the standard. Since I am not a member of the consortium, I can't cite the standard on this, though. But I do know that the gaggia machine in question has to have had its pressure lowered if OP is measuring 9.5 bar, because that's not how they ship.

It makes sense that such a modification would be good for fresh ground coffee and not good for pods.

EricBNC

#6: Post by EricBNC »

I have some older machines that will just barely put out 60ml in a water debit test but will push water through a pod with no trouble at all. These pods are not much coffee - 7g give or take - and are fairly flat. My problem usually is the opposite issue - trying to slow the flow down. This is why I tighten the portafilter for my only means of adjustment to slow the flow. 9.5 bar is more than enough pressure to brew a pod.

My portafilters are not pressurized on two of these machines - just a single spout illy design or a common 58mm like the Gaggia. I have another machine that uses a pressurized basket for pods but works similar. With the pressurized basket I do not worry about tight or loose since the filter basket regulates the pressure.

Maybe the OP will weigh in with some extra info.
LMWDP #378

nikola_bb (original poster)

#7: Post by nikola_bb (original poster) »

If i loose the portafitler i get leak around it...

EricBNC

#8: Post by EricBNC »

When you say slow extraction, how many seconds does it take from turning the brew switch on till you get 40mL in the cup?
LMWDP #378

nikola_bb (original poster)

#9: Post by nikola_bb (original poster) »

more then 60sec

EricBNC

#10: Post by EricBNC replying to nikola_bb »

That is slow - are you using the "perfect crema" filter basket for non-pod ground coffee espresso?
LMWDP #378