Gaggia Classic slow flow from group, I don't know what is happening!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
siaoginazakum

#1: Post by siaoginazakum »

Alright I browsed the forums a bit here and there and I found a couple of threads that is kind of similar to my problem with some differences so I'd decided that I make a thread just to be safe because I tend to mess up simple things .. :cry:

My Gaggia Classic is about 8 months old and it has always been used regularly (like 3 times a day) to like 2 weeks without using at all.. So this time, it has been inactive for about 3 weeks since the last usage and the water flowing out from the group head is kind of slow.

As of now I don't even know how the flow is supposed to be like...
It used to be extremely fierce, with a steady burst of steaming hot water flowing out when I press the brew button, now it just feels weak and limp.. it flows really slowly and it is like dripping

The thing is I can still make shots but the sound of the machine sounds weird... The "BZZZZZ" while you are brewing is louder.. I don't really know whats going on but the plastic pipes are drawing water from the water tank just fine.

Beezer

#2: Post by Beezer »

It's probably time to descale the boiler. Get some descaling solution and run it through the machine and see if that helps.

Also, there's a small valve inside the group head that tends to get clogged with scale. You may need to take that apart and clean it up.

It's possible that the pump is failing, but I suspect the culprit is scale elsewhere in the system.
Lock and load!

Marcelnl

#3: Post by Marcelnl »

If the machine stood without water Or it just sat there and the problem started since then y,ou are likely having an airlock. Try running the pump while opening the steam wand, jiggle the machine around and slap it now and then, if that does not help try blowing a mouthful of water through the silicone water intake hose while the pump is running (be careful to stop the pump when you are oit of water)

You don't mention any maintenance, if you never backflushed nor ever have used cleaner it might be that in the three weeks the old coffee gunk you'll find between the showerplate and or shower plate distributor plater solidified and became a problem...disassembly and angood soak in cafize or something similar is then likely a solution.
LMWDP #483