Gaggia Classic Pump Stalling During Extraction

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
James R

#1: Post by James R »

I picked up a well loved second hand one about six months ago and have had very little issues apart from it not pumping a couple of times when left on for a little longer than necessary to heat up. Perhaps I should have acted faster on this issue as now when I try pull a shot everything looks good, get the nice beading on the basket but then nothing but slow drips. When I remove the portafilter and try run some water through the group I get drips and some steam bubbling to then nothing coming out. Leaving it for a few minutes sometimes allows some water to come through but other times nothing. The steam wand works fine.

After a couple more shots pulled today the issue is still happening with coffee that I was using at the same grind setting / dose last week with no problems.

Any idea on what could be wrong? Solenoid valve needs taking out and cleaning? Thermostat issue?

:cry:

C6H8O3

#2: Post by C6H8O3 »

Bad pump?
LMWDP 702

onthego

#3: Post by onthego replying to C6H8O3 »

That would be my guess as well.

C6H8O3

#4: Post by C6H8O3 »

I think I remember reading about Ulka pumps, when they are ready to give up the ghost, become very sensitive to heat. As the internal temperature of the machine rises (and the water temp in the reservoir rises), the pump begins to fail and pump less water. You might want to do a search down those lines on H-B.
LMWDP 702

SJM

#5: Post by SJM »

James R wrote:The steam wand works fine.
If the steam wand works fine it really can't be the pump.

Nurk2

#6: Post by Nurk2 »

James R wrote: When I remove the portafilter and try run some water through the group I get drips and some steam bubbling to then nothing coming out. Leaving it for a few minutes sometimes allows some water to come through but other times nothing. The steam wand works fine.
:cry:
Sounds like what happens when I accidentally leave the steam switch on after doing a cappa.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
If it sounds good, it is good
- Duke Ellington

happycat

#7: Post by happycat replying to Nurk2 »

I was thinking the same thing. Maybe an issue with whatever does the switching.
LMWDP #603