Gaggia Classic, no flow through grouphead...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
zoom-zoom

#1: Post by zoom-zoom »

Please help! I've had my Gaggia Classic for about 2 years and I've used it almost every day. This past month I was gone and didn't use it. When I came back it seems to be clogged or something around the grouphead. :cry:

I don't know the terminology very well but I'll try to describe the problem..

The pump is working, there is flow through the steam wand.
The heating element is working just fine.
I removed the screen (one screw) and there was still no flow at all through there.
I removed the two bolts behind where the screen was and there is some flow through one of the holes where a bolt was. I was hoping I could remove this whole piece to see if it's clogged, but those 2 bolts didn't seem to do it...

I'm hoping it's just clogged and there's some way to disassemble the grouphead and clean it out. I'm kind of afraid to start pulling it apart though as I really have no idea what I'm doing. I checked around for gaggia repair places around here but it's pretty bleak...hopefully it won't come to this.

Thanks for the help!

aindfan

#2: Post by aindfan »

When was the last time you descaled it? That might be worth a try. I use Urinex CleanCaf dissolved as per the package instructions into the water reservoir, then fill the boiler with the solution, soak for 5 minutes, then replace the boiler water (with more from the reservoir). When pumping new solution through the boiler, try pumping it through the grouphead (with the steam wand closed).

The two hex bolts should let you remove the dispersion block (bolt 23 holding block 22 as seen in the diagram here). If you've never removed this block it could be slightly stuck on there.

Once again, however, if you've never descaled, you should DEFINITELY do that first.
Dan Fainstein
LMWDP #203
PSA: Have you descaled lately?

another_jim
Team HB

#3: Post by another_jim »

Chances are, if it's the Classic (not the Classic Coffee) you have a stuck three way valve, (part 27 on this diagram).
Jim Schulman

zoom-zoom (original poster)

#4: Post by zoom-zoom (original poster) »

Thanks guys!

Soo....if it's a stuck 3-way valve, what do I do?

I'll definitely try to de-scale it. I've got some lying around and have a feeling this might be the problem as I've been kind of bad about maintenance. Do you think it'll work though, given that no water is moving through the group-head?

Thanks again for the help.

CRCasey

#5: Post by CRCasey »

Depending on the construction... tearing down the 3 way valve is simple, getting to it on some machines may make you scream.

A couple of open end wrenches and a bit of citric acid will usually bring these back, they tend to get stuck in the body or scale just at the seat, they use ruby seats and with basic maintenance will last almost forever. There may be an o-ring there, if so get a replacement in viton rubber.

It is a simple tear down if you have the room inside the machine.

-C
Black as the devil, hot as hell, pure as an angel, sweet as love-CMdT, LMWDP#244