Gaggia Classic, leaking and steaming problems

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
aegdvm

#1: Post by aegdvm »

Hello. I have a 2 year old Gaggia Classic. Two problems have happened, and I only mention that because it seems that they both started happening around the same time, though I dont know that they are otherwise related. OK,#1, the steam wand drips constantly. I have descaled (I do it about every 6 months). I know I may need to replace the steam valve, but before I buy a $50 part, I want to make sure that this is not somehow related to problem #2 which is more annoying: getting it to steaming temperature. I turn my machine on (both switches, to steam milk first) and wait 20-40 minutes to make drinks. Suddenly one morning, even though both lights were on, indicating up to steam temp, the steamer was weak and low powered. No stuttering or spurting, just acting like I had not let it get to temperature, but the light is on, as if it "thinks" its hot enough. I found that if I switch it back to "espresso" for a moment, run a little water through, like I'm about to brew, then switch it BACK to steam, and wait for the light to come back on, then it is good to go. But if it sits for a while in steam mode, even though the light is on, its NOT hot enough to steam. That is what I'm doing every morning now, and it consistently works, but if I dont do this, it is consistently not hot enough. ideas? Thanks!

Advertisement
Boisemft

#2: Post by Boisemft »

I have same problem with not getting hot enough to steam. My machine is 10yrs old and I am in the UK. Hope to get a solution.

Mark

aegdvm (original poster)

#3: Post by aegdvm (original poster) »

To clarify, mine will get hot enough, but doesnt stay hot enough unless I switch the steam off, flush it, then turn in back on. Then when the light (2 lights) are back on, it is hot enough to steam. Not that this is a solution, but have you tried this?

hamish5178

#4: Post by hamish5178 »

My first machine was a Classic, though I'm far from an authority on them. It sounds to me like your machine is up to steam temp but has an empty boiler. Remember, the Classic has no water level sensor, it will not fill the boiler of its own accord. That's why you're not really supposed to leave them on for extended periods of time, especially on steam mode! Likely that between the high temps and the leaking water you are operating on an empty boiler by the time you use the machine. Running water through the group in espresso mode is re-filling the boiler, allowing you to steam. I would turn the machine on for 30 minutes or so in espresso mode, then when you're ready switch to steam and back within 5 or so minutes.

As for the dripping steam arm, my machine has dripped since the day I bought it and I'm fairly certain I've read reports of it being a ubiquitous 'feature' of the Classic. If it's really bad though you may want to replace the valve or the entire assembly (could upgrade to a Silvia wand!). Does the part really cost $50?

aegdvm (original poster)

#5: Post by aegdvm (original poster) »

Thanks, I will try that. I had a "more is better" approach to warming up the machine before use, so I'd let it sit in steam mode. As for the $50 part, before I posted my question, I did a search on leaking Gaggia classics, and found a thread indicating the steam valve may need replacing, and the poster even included a part number. I looked it up:

http://www.shop.partsguru.com/searchqui ... rds=EF0045

So with tax, shipping etc, likely $70, really :(

rpavlis

#6: Post by rpavlis »

When parts fail on espresso machines one should not immediately rush to buy a standard OEM replacement part. The reason that parts usually fail is that it was a badly made part in the first place, otherwise it would still be functioning!!! Often one can give the problem a little thought and replace the standard replacement part with something that is of higher quality and almost certainly costs a tiny fraction of what it costs as a company's official replacement part.

If one have access to machine shop equipment or have a friend with such, in a VERY large percentage of such problems one can make a much better part than the OEM's one. Remember that this part FAILED! It may not take much effort to make one a lot better!

The thing to do, always, is first check to see whether superior non OEM parts be available at hardware stores and the like. Then, think about fabricating your own superior replacement. When all else fails, get the OEM part!

Some companies also modify a part that was found to be bad. Then it may make sense to get the OEM part right away.

In my opinion, for valves, if the original were not a ball valve, you should try to get a ball valve replacement.

aegdvm (original poster)

#7: Post by aegdvm (original poster) »

Thanks. First, is it a reasonable assumption that the dripping steam wand does mean that it is the steam valve that needs replacing? Are there other causes of dripping I should rule out first?

Advertisement
cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

Dripping steam wand is a worn out compression gasket. You just need to replace the gasket/seal.

http://www.best-espresso-machines-revie ... sic-parts/
Dave Stephens

kitt

#9: Post by kitt replying to cannonfodder »

Unfortunately not, the Gaggia use an 'economy' steam valve thats not serviceable and has a brass on brass valve closure.You have to replace the whole valve.The even worse news is there is no guarantee the new one will be any better.I've had brand new ones that still drip!
There are reports of people cutting them open, polishing the tapered rod to get a better seal, then re-sealing the valve.If you want to go that option, probably best to join the yahoo gaggia users group

http://groups.yahoo.com/group/Gaggia/

Intrepid510

#10: Post by Intrepid510 »

Yeah I would join the Yahoo user group, the leaking problem is something that happens with most of these newer ones I believe. There is a fix for it that Tex outlines in the Yahoo user group, I don't believe it costs anything other than your time.