Gaggia Classic 2015 - Steam coming from grouphead

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Kez

#1: Post by Kez »

Hi,

I bought a Gaggia Classic 2015 the other day. I decided to clean out the gasket and I took off the shower screen. After putting the shower screen back on, whenever I turn on the steam switch a ton of water starts coming out of the group head and eventually steam as well.

Does anyone know what I might have done that caused this and whether it is fixable?

Thanks.

Here is a video of what is happening:

psihodel

#2: Post by psihodel »

Hi Kieran, I own a 2013 Gaggia Classic, and it is perfectly normal that the steam is going out of the group if the steam switch is ON, as the Classic is a single boiler machine which uses one boiler both for brewing and steaming. The reason why the steam is going out of the group when steam switch is ON is that the machine starts heating the water in the boiler for steaming when you press the steam switch. When you want to brew, the steam switch should be OFF, and when you want to steam, press it, wait for the machine to reach the temperature for steaming, and steam some milk.

Hope this helps :)

I have just watched your video again with sound, and I see that the water and the steam are going out of the group on their own (you did not press the brew switch). If this is the case, that is not normal behaviour, but I do not know the reason for this :(

Kez (original poster)

#3: Post by Kez (original poster) »

Hi Bojan,

Thanks for getting back to me. It is as you say, the water and steam come out on their own! At one point I brewed an espresso, then steamed some milk and when I took the portafilter out a little while later it exploded everywhere because all the steam had built up inside!

I am not exactly sure what the issue is as there seems to be a lot less information about the 2015 classic (understandably) but it seems like it may be a problem with the mechanical valve. The thing is, it didn't start behaving like this until I took off the shower screen and cleaned around there so it must be something I have done. I am just wondering if there is any way I can reverse it!

EDChris

#4: Post by EDChris »

Is this the "bad" Classic with the lower powered boiler and the spring valve instead of the 3 way valve that was briefly available in Europe? If so I'd think the latter might be the culprit.

Kez (original poster)

#5: Post by Kez (original poster) replying to EDChris »

Yeah, that's the one. I'm thinking the same thing. Gonna try to take the valve out and have a look at it. Replacements seem fairly cheap at least.