FrancisFrancis! X1 boiler sensors - Help me Id them in this pic?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Charlienofun

#1: Post by Charlienofun »

Hello - I was given a FF X1 that I believe is from 1998, it appears to have been used little to none. I opened it up to check out the status of the boiler (which is now descaling) and I'm wondering about using an arduino or a PID to control this thing as the best water temp I got was 185 (with the shower screen off) and that was only for the first few seconds. Can anyone help me identify the sensors? Maybe I'm crazy but it looks like it already has a microprocessor of some sort and its controlling one of the cycles perhaps the main brew cycle? or maybe one of the sensors is the auto top off sensor or part of the mechanism that manages moving water into the boiler when its dry or in need of prime? (sorry I don't have the manual and can't find one online).

Any clues?

I labeled the picture

a: is the thermometer (front panel)
b: steam cycle ?
c: brew cycle ? (this one is connected back to the PCB)

Zircote

#2: Post by Zircote »

Charlienofun,
The sensor you marked 'C' is an RTD used for the brew temp.
Your machine is older than mine but not too different.
The newer machines do away with the sensor you marked 'B' and use the PCB to control both brew temp and steam.
My PCB died awhile back and I replaced it and the stock sensor with a Aubrins (inexpensive) PID and new RTD.
If the machine were worth more I would have spent for a better PID.
I placed the new RTD in the same boiler well as the stock unit.
I also used Skeen Designs alarm connection for the steam control.
The boiler design has changed since yours was built so if you need parts you may be out of luck with out returning the machine to FF. They do not sell parts.
However, the newer models use the same boiler as the LeLit sold by 1st, they do sell some parts, gaskets, portafilters... You may get lucky if FF used the same size

Charlienofun (original poster)

#3: Post by Charlienofun (original poster) »

Zircote,

Thanks for chiming in, I actually saw you post in two other threads about these machines. Yes mine is really ancient I think it sat in a box since 1998, its the aluminum boiler. I would love to get a nice machine with a brass boiler but I already have a virtuoso grinder and I was given this machine for free, not to mention I already have an arduino (that i was gonna use for a diff project but that can wait).

I did some research on the heater control, upon closer inspection its a thermocouple and a dual op amp its similar to (http://www.electronics-project-design.c ... ostat.html) pretty hi tech for 1995-8 but the arduino running the BBCC (http://www.arduino.cc/playground/Main/B ... orEspresso) is the direction i'm looking in now.

My next task is IDing the type of thermocouple that is already installed in the boiler that would be great if I could get it working with an ad595 (which is what bbcc code is written for). You mentioned you swapped in a RTD did you have trouble finding one that threaded into the boiler? If I can figure that out I'll also control the pump with the arduino and possibly install buttons in the existing switch locations. I guess I could also do a steam temp setting in the software (infact I think there is some of this already in bbcc).

I'll take lots of pictures when I get started, I'm gonna try and figure out the thermocouple tonight and see if I can reuse it.

Charlie

wideawake

#4: Post by wideawake »

FWIW I tried to swap the sensor out of my X5 as a quick-fix for a broken platinum RTD into my Auberins-equipped Silvia, and I could not get it to work. I believe it is a nickel sensor (at least on the X5), which does not run on the Auberins.

Peter

#5: Post by Charlienofun (original poster) »

Peter,

Thanks for the heads up on the francis francis RTD not being compatible with the Auberins PID. Can you tell me if the threading on the sensor was the same between your Silvia and the X5? Its not an cost issue I don't mind getting a new sensor, i'm really just trying to find a "K-type" thermocouple that will screw into the existing location. I already have SSR's for the boiler and pump so thats the last piece of my puzzle - I hate to destroy the "stock" components but if I can't find a screw in k-type thermocouple I might be able to use the existing RTD housing.... not sure but i'm not in a rush either so i'll hunt around more.

I gotta thank you for chiming in and for all the folks viewing this thread, this forum is great I wouldn't have bothered with a project like this if it weren't for the neat community on here!

Charlie

wideawake

#6: Post by wideawake »

The X5 may be different than your machine, but mine was not screwed in - it was more like a thermowell. It looked very similar to yours, with a lot of thermal compound covering a plastic sheath. If you try tugging on it gently it may come out.
I replaced my RTD with a K-type thermocouple from Auberins. If you go this route, the washer will fit right under one of the steam thermostat screws.

Peter

#7: Post by Charlienofun (original poster) »

Peter,

Thanks for the input you were absolutely correct - I gave the wires a little tug and it popped right out! I'm just waiting on some parts in the mail and I should have her back together in no time!

Thanks Everyone!

Charlie