"Food-Safe" Loctite thread sealer

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Jeff
Team HB

#1: Post by Jeff »

I've seen it come up a few times, and perhaps I've missed a definitive answer, but a common question is "What thread locker / thread sealer / gasket sealer / gasket replacement can I use on my machine that is food safe?"

I finally found some information from Loctite on what their approvals are;
Loctite Products at Work in Food and Beverage Plants

While I won't pretend to know all the certifications, it is my understanding that NSF Standard 61 is related to drinking water. I'm not familiar with the FDA regs, but have included that as well. From that document:
  • FDA 21 C.F.R. §175.300
    Complies with the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act and all
    applicable food additive regulations.
    Loctite® 2046™ Removable Threadlocker Food Compliant

NSF STANDARD 61
    Meets the standards to be used in areas affecting drinking water.
    Loctite® 243™ Threadlocker Medium Strength / Oil Resistant
    Loctite® QuickStix™ 248™ Threadlocker - Medium Strength Semisolid / Blue
    Loctite® 290™ Threadlocker Medium Strength / Green
    Loctite® 480™ Prism® Instant Adhesive
    Loctite® 518™ Gasket Eliminator® Flange Sealant
    Loctite® QuickStix™ 561™ PST® Pipe Sealant
    Loctite® 565™ PST® Thread Sealant Controlled Strength
    Loctite® 567™ PST® Thread Sealant High Temperature
    Loctite® 680™ Retaining Compound Slip Fit / High Strength
    Loctite® 7649™ Primer N™
Note that the typical 222MS (purple), 242 (blue), and 271 (red) compounds are not certified for NSF Standard 61. This doesn't mean that they are "bad" as many places in our equipment the compound never comes in contact with water, steam, or coffee.

allon

#2: Post by allon »

You can find food safe RTV Silicone which is great for sealing, but not as a thread locker.
LMWDP #331

Advertisement
stefano65
Sponsor

#3: Post by stefano65 »

just for your knowledge and not trying to tell you to buy from us but we have a product
on our web page that is food grade and is not one that will harden after installation making it easy to remove again
not cheap but none of them are
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

HB
Admin

#4: Post by HB »

Thanks for the alternative suggestion, Stefano. I assume you mean Thread Sealant Food Grade and that the main difference between it and the Loctite products is the "Easy dismantling is assured even after years". I searched and didn't find the MSDS. Do you have a link to it?
Dan Kehn

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

And here I thought HB was the reigning King of all searchers :) http://www.loxeal.com/msds.html
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

allon

#6: Post by allon »

LMWDP #331

drgary
Team HB

#7: Post by drgary »

When searching this topic I came across this thread. I've got new information, which is that Loctite 2046 is their only food-safe product.

Here's the spec sheet on Loctite 2046. This shows they tested it to 150C / 304F. It fastens with medium strength and can be loosened with hand tools.

There are other food-safe thread sealants, but Loctite 2046 is also a thread locker.

This thread sealant sold by Stefano's Espressocare purposely doesn't have strong locking properties so you can easily disassemble and reassemble.
Gary
LMWDP#308

What I WOULD do for a good cup of coffee!

Advertisement
drgary
Team HB

#8: Post by drgary »

To update the above post, erics sent me the Loctite catalog, which says the 2046 product can withstand temperatures up to 204C / 400F.
Gary
LMWDP#308

cafebmw
Supporter ♡

#9: Post by cafebmw »

don't ever get the loctite threadsealer in direct contact with water inside the boiler. it will foul the water immediately. i learned it the hard way. what i do now is using plenty of teflon tape and then applying a small amount of loctite on the last 3rd of the thread (away from the tip) of the male part. that way you can make sure thread sealer won't get into the boiler. always apply it to male fitting!

drgary
Team HB

#10: Post by drgary »

Very helpful tip. Thanks.
Gary
LMWDP#308