Food grade seals and gaskets in the '50s.

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
cuppajoe

#1: Post by cuppajoe »

I know it's advisable to use food grade materials whenever possible, but it can get hard to source them for vintage machines. Does anyone know when food grade became readily available and what were the most common seal and gasket materials used before then?
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

Alan Frew

#2: Post by Alan Frew »

I was actually alive in the 1950's, as long ago as that might sound, and the concept of "food grade" was anything you could get your gums around that didn't actually kill you on the spot. Rubber O-rings, gaskets and seals were made out of exactly the same rubber that tyres were, asbestos was a great material for high temperature gasket and insulation purposes, and paraffin and Vaseline were "food grade" lubricants. There is no doubt that a tablespoon of paraffin will cure constipation faster than just about anything else on earth!

Alan

Advertisement
DanoM

#3: Post by DanoM »

Just for clarification sake:
Alan Frew wrote:There is no doubt that a tablespoon of paraffin will cure constipation faster than just about anything else on earth!
I think you are referring to liquid paraffin, which we call mineral oil in USA. USA paraffin is typically the wax form.

English != English all the time. :wink:
I had to buy paraffin liquid and wax recently here in Japan and went through all kinds of searches before finding the correct terms locally. Sometimes they prefer the British usage and other times the USA usage, other times it might be German or French...
LMWDP #445

cuppajoe (original poster)

#4: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

Alan Frew wrote:I was actually alive in the 1950's, as long ago as that might sound, and the concept of "food grade" was anything you could get your gums around that didn't actually kill you on the spot. Rubber O-rings, gaskets and seals were made out of exactly the same rubber that tyres were, asbestos was a great material for high temperature gasket and insulation purposes, and paraffin and Vaseline were "food grade" lubricants. There is no doubt that a tablespoon of paraffin will cure constipation faster than just about anything else on earth!

Alan
Natural rubber is not a major concern, but these days most 'rubber' products are petroleum based man made creations, so was wondering how that played out in material selection for these machines. I remember lead in the gas(27 cents a gallon) and not being able to see further than two blocks in LA and DC3's fogging Miami with DDT. Milk was whole and delivered to the door, and mom got her bread and donuts from the Helms truck.

If wanting something that tastes a bit better than paraffin to break things up, fresh cherry juice does an excellent job. Just make sure you are within striking distance of a WC.
David - LMWDP 448

#5: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

My go-to supplier is McMaster-Carr as they usually have something close enough. I usually first check the food grade lists, if nothing there I then go to silicone or high temp Viton. If still no joy, Buna-N.

Any feedback or recommendations are appreciated.
David - LMWDP 448

Bob_McBob

#6: Post by Bob_McBob »

Too bad McMaster-Carr won't sell to foreign scum like us Canadians even if the order is shipped within the States :roll:
Chris

redbone

#7: Post by redbone »

There are many facilities that will make gaskets for you. I recently had a PF seal made of FDA silicone by a local co. for the Zacconi. I provided the measurements and had my seals within 24hrs.
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549

Advertisement
AssafL

#8: Post by AssafL »

Even "food safe" isn't that safe.

It usually refers to GRAS stuff (generally recognized as safe). It doesn't mean it is safer or less safe than anything you can find today.

You take your chances either way..
Scraping away (slowly) at the tyranny of biases and dogma.

#9: Post by cuppajoe (original poster) »

redbone wrote:There are many facilities that will make gaskets for you. I recently had a PF seal made of FDA silicone by a local co. for the Zacconi. I provided the measurements and had my seals within 24hrs.
Out of curiosity, was there a minimum order and what did it end up costing?
David - LMWDP 448

redbone

#10: Post by redbone »

Had 3 made. Cost a dozen donuts at 8.98cda. :D

They normally don't do that but the guy must have felt generous at that time.

Some places in the U.S. that may be helpful.

http://www.calvosealing.com/products/Co ... 9200/68/en

CustomGasketMfg also offers several different options for custom gaskets both flat and custom shaped.
http://www.customgasketmfg.com/DieCutGa ... ureGaskets

GarlockGasket (USA) also offers gasket materials in sheets available for purchase.
http://www.garlock.com/en/products/blue-gard-style-3700
Between order and chaos there is espresso.
Semper discens.

Rob
LMWDP #549