Flushing not getting rid of chemical taste after descaling?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
caffeinatedrebel

#1: Post by caffeinatedrebel »

I have just ran my first descaling of my espresso machine and the solution does not seem to be flushing out of my machine. I use Ascaso Home Espresso Machine Descaler in my La Nuova Era Cuadra as recommended by 1st line equipment. I used 1.5 packets as it recommends 1 per every liter and my reservoir is 1.8 liters.

I have run five full tanks of fresh water and it still smells like light chemicals and reacts with baking soda. The first two full tanks turned a green color when I added baking soda but that went away with more flushes :?

How many more flushes should I do? Is the normal? Thanks!

brianl

#2: Post by brianl »

Did you make any throwaway shots ?

caffeinatedrebel (original poster)

#3: Post by caffeinatedrebel (original poster) »

I brewed two using preground espresso just to flush the grouphead some more. I have not done actual shots yet due to the water already tasting off.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

You did not run baking soda through the machine did you??

I usually run 4-5 boilers full of water though after a descale to flush it all out. The water should be green when you descale, that is normal but will flush out. I run 3-4 times the heat exchanger volume of water thought the heat exchanger. Did you put the packets of solution in the water reservoir or separate tank? Try taking the reservoir out and run it through the dish washer. You may be picking up residue in the tank.
Dave Stephens

#5: Post by caffeinatedrebel (original poster) »

No no no no. I saw a video that said to check for acid in the water coming from the water wand to put a spoonful of baking soda and if it bubbles it will still have acid in it. The chemical reaction of the baking soda and the acid let me know I needed to continue to flush it.

From what I've smelled the grouphead and E61 are all flushed just based on the smell and taste. Its whats coming from the water wand that bothers me. Should I run some more through?

I also did put the packets in the water reservoir and washed it out multiple times.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

I have just ran my first descaling of my espresso machine . . .
And what prompted this? A lot depends on what you are trying to descale and why?
How about the conclusion of your initial post? - E61 espresso machine dropping boiler pressure when first steaming

It would simply be courteous of you to respond with a conclusion.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

#7: Post by caffeinatedrebel (original poster) »

And what prompted this? A lot depends on what you are trying to descale and why?
I got my machine used three months ago and he said I wouldn't need to descale until March. My false pressure issue has not bee fixed yet and I was hoping that this would fix the issue. I have looked through the internals of my machine and decided a descale would be good due to the time I have waited.

I was planning on doing the regular 4 times a year descaling and thought it needed the maintenance. Is descaling that much not necessary?

#8: Post by caffeinatedrebel (original poster) »

So I pulled some more water out of the water wand and let it cool and then pull another out still very hot and put baking soda in both to see if the temperature change would create the chemical reaction and as I assumed the higher the temperature create more bubbles while the room temperature had nothing occur.

I assume that this means that all the actual chemical is out of my machine and what I was using to check and see if it was flushed was a false indicator. :D

Hopefully I will be back at brewing a shot tomorrow and all this stress and decaffeination has left me with a VERY cleaned machine.

erics
Supporter ★

#9: Post by erics »

See this: Checking an E61 Espresso Machine for Scale

Take some pics and post same.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Mokko

#10: Post by Mokko »

Sounds to me like your group head has been flushed sufficiently, but if you still have an issue it is with the boiler. My experience is with Cimbali machines so I don't know if what I am about to say is applicable to your machine. If you had descale solution in a reservoir and you started a process to descale, most of the water would go from the reservoir to the group head, but also could be feeding your boiler to keep it topped off. On a Cimbali, the hot water is a mixture of reservoir water a boiler water. The water/steam in the boiler only feed the water tap and steam line. If you have descale solution in your boiler, it would take A Lot of flushing from a reservoir to eventually flush the boiler. LOTS! With clean water in the reservoir, and clean water coming out of your group head, but some descale solution coming from your water tap, on a La Cimbali HX machine I would assume solution in the boiler. Can your drain and flush your boiler seperatly?