Flush amount on HX in volume (ml)

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
kidloco

#1: Post by kidloco »

I was just wondering, for us that not have Chris E61 thermometer, what is your amount of flush water in ml (or oz or whatever works for you)? In my machine manual (La Scala Butterfly Levetta) it says, when boiler is at 1.2 bar flush approx. 60ml water and pull shot immediately...That just sounds too little and it seems that is still too hot. I flush at least 200ml of water and then immediately pull shot. I mostly do light roasted coffee.

I know that amout of flushing depends on boiler pressure setting, but could you be kind to say something like 1,2bar/100ml flush or something like that so I can just try to make some sense of it

BenKeith

#2: Post by BenKeith »

I think that's pretty much going to depend on the machines volume of water, pressure/temp. I run my Livia 90 right at 1.5 bar and after a long warm up, and time between shots, I pull two ounces just before a shot. Doing this, it starts off at about 207 degrees, spitting water and steam, and then drops to 202 degrees at the end of the two ounces. On 20-25 second, 35-50 gram shots it does very well at maintaining between 201- 202.5 degrees the way I have it set.

Advertisement
canuckcoffeeguy

#3: Post by canuckcoffeeguy »

kidloco wrote:I was just wondering, for us that not have Chris E61 thermometer, what is your amount of flush water in ml (or oz or whatever works for you)? In my machine manual (La Scala Butterfly Levetta) it says, when boiler is at 1.2 bar flush approx. 60ml water and pull shot immediately...That just sounds too little and it seems that is still too hot. I flush at least 200ml of water and then immediately pull shot. I mostly do light roasted coffee.

I know that amout of flushing depends on boiler pressure setting, but could you be kind to say something like 1,2bar/100ml flush or something like that so I can just try to make some sense of it
From full warm up, How long does it take for flash boiling to end? Flash boiling produces that sputtering, hissing sound. Try flushing a couple of seconds beyond the end of flash boiling and then pull your shot. Of course, you'll still have to tweak based on taste. If too sour, shorter cooling flush. Too bitter, longer flush.

I highly recommend Erics thermometer. Btw, Chris just sells it, but it was created by Eric S, who is an active member of HB. He's very helpful and knowledgeable.

Nunas
Supporter ♡

#4: Post by Nunas »

+1 Ryan's comments. I added EricS's thermometer to my Magister and discovered that after the 'water dance' had ended I needed another few seconds to get to the right temperature. I think of this as time, not volume. This took me from about 10-seconds on a fully warmed up machine to about 15. Very useful addition to my Stella.

Dripp

#5: Post by Dripp »

I pull my cooling flush until the water dance has been over for a few seconds, but then don't pull my shot for another minute or two. I guess tomorrow morning I'll try to pull the shot immediately and see what difference it makes. I've been doing it with a delay for years.

DeGaulle

#6: Post by DeGaulle »

At 1.2 bar (top of cycle) I usually flush until I have seen the water stream become more gentle and uniform. Due to the vibe pump noise during flushing (i.e. no back pressure) I find sound a less accurate indicator. I run the flush into the cup for proper preheating and it usually seems to measure some 2 oz. With one type of bean I don't find a lot of taste difference between flushing and waiting 30 secs or so and flush and go. With lighter roasts I tend to flush and wait, whereas with medium/dark roast I tend to flush and go.
Bert

jwCrema
Supporter ❤

#7: Post by jwCrema »

canuckcoffeeguy wrote:From full warm up, How long does it take for flash boiling to end? Flash boiling produces that sputtering, hissing sound. Try flushing a couple of seconds beyond the end of flash boiling and then pull your shot. Of course, you'll still have to tweak based on taste. If too sour, shorter cooling flush. Too bitter, longer flush.

I highly recommend Erics thermometer. Btw, Chris just sells it, but it was created by Eric S, who is an active member of HB. He's very helpful and knowledgeable.
+1 on all points.

My Technika's flush volume turns out to be about 1.5 oz., which takes very little time. I pull the first shot right after the flush and observe extremely consistent temps each morning. Overall, I found it to be a very easy process to nail down after coming from a La Pavoni where I had to do the hokie pokie and turn myself around to get similar results.

Also, when you buy his thermometer, be sure to carefully review all of the documentation he provides. It's very insightful.

Advertisement
altiplano

#8: Post by altiplano »

I run my Cellini at 1 bar and for the flush I let it go until the water stops steaming and jumping around at all... just an even stream... grind, tamp and pull the shot...

To just call it a given volume I think is difficult, it depends on how long it's been waiting since the last shot and is it really warmed up...

kidloco (original poster)

#9: Post by kidloco (original poster) »

Tnx guys for quick responses. I tried volume rather then time or sound because It just looked that in that way I will be more accurate. You all are talking about 1-3 oz, and I used to flush 5-6 oz. I will just need to experiment some more. Eric thermometer is great thing but they do not have EU store, and with price around 100 shipping around 35 + taxes in my country it would be too expensive (if it says more than 70usd on package I pay customs fee). Maybe I will find used one and somebody to ship it as a gift I dont know, will have to look into that...

canuckcoffeeguy

#10: Post by canuckcoffeeguy replying to kidloco »

Try contacting the one and only Eric S. Maybe he can help.
/member/erics/