Flojet plumbing in multiple espresso machines

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
einstein

#1: Post by einstein »

How many machines can a flojet support? I was thinking about putting all my espresso machines in my office and just using a flojet, also can a flojet put through a inline water filter too? Does it just kick in when it sense a pressure loss or how do they work?

Thanks for your help and input.

Matt

JmanEspresso

#2: Post by JmanEspresso »

You can use inline filters with flo-jets, yes.

And I would assume you could hook up a couple machines to one pump/tank setup, but I would use a large expansion tank. If not, you definitely wouldn't be able to use more then one machine at a time.

Standard setup for a flo-jet would use a small Accumulator, which is an expansion tank about the size of a small football. EspressoParts sells it, made by Shurflo. That, along with a Flo-Jet, plus whatever filters you want, would work great for a single machine. The Expansion tank is so that you get a smooth pressure feed. The flo-jet feeds the expansion tank, and the machine pulls from that. When it gets low, the flo-jet fills it back up.

If you were wanting to run more then one machine on a single flo-jet, Id put a much bigger expansion tank. That way the machines are feeding off the tank. Something like This would be what ID try.

Ive never done this though. I would attempt it myself, which is why Im good with suggesting it, but I cant verify it would work(but I think it would be fine).

I dont think, in any style of setup, you would be able to USE more then one machine at a time. But if your at home and just want a bunch hooked up, so you can go from one to the other without problems, this setup would fine. If you're looking to use multiple machines at one time, I would run a separate pump setup for each.

HB
Admin

#3: Post by HB »

Years back I ran two espresso machines from a Flojet + the small accumulator Jeff mentioned. It worked well since the flow rates for espresso are far below the Flojet's. The only issue was refilling a boiler, since the pump could suck the accumulator dry and the pump would cavitate. Most commercial espresso machines have an option to disable the pump on boiler refills and instead rely on line pressure. That means very slow boiler refills if you flush the boiler for descaling, but it really doesn't matter since the heating element is disabled for such operations.

If you want more than educated guesses, Google will help (e.g., search on "Flojet specifications"). My quick scan suggested Shurflo models were at least 1.0 gallon per minute. In espresso machine terms, that's a tidal wave. If you don't want to shell out of the Shurflo logo'd accumulator, stop by any Home Depot/Lowes and ask for a water expansion tank. It's a different name for the same thing.
Dan Kehn

Compass Coffee

#4: Post by Compass Coffee »

2 gal capacity accumulator ~$50 Home Depot and or Lowe's, both carry 'em for "well pumps". Use one on our mobile catering cart with flojet...
Mike McGinness

allon

#5: Post by allon »

The BW4000 cannot put out enough pressure to run through an inline filter.

I fill a 5 gallon jug with filtered water, then pump that. Why would you use a flojet to feed through a filter?

(Note - flojets require regular sanitation cleaning with bleach, else they become Petri dishes)
LMWDP #331

jedovaty

#6: Post by jedovaty »

Flojets are loud.

HB
Admin

#7: Post by HB »

Loud? It's a lot quieter than my grinder and run less frequently (I have an accumulator).
Dan Kehn

kboom1

#8: Post by kboom1 »

I think flojet cut off pressure is 47psi if I remember correctly. Just fyi

allon

#9: Post by allon »

Mine runs at about 1.5 bar. Good enough to fill a pressurized boiler, but needs a little help to do preinfusion.
It is not adjustable - the BW1000 is a diaphragm pump; I haven't taken apart the 4000.

It is definitely less than 47psi.
LMWDP #331

kboom1

#10: Post by kboom1 »

we are talking cut off pressure of flojet pump and it is 47psi on flojet site. 1.5 bar= 14.5 psi
47 psi = 3.24 bar and with accumulator tank set to at least 2 psi below cut off pressure it gives you plenty of line pressure for preinfusion. had my regulator set to 2.4 bar and it gave me good line pressure for preinfusion.
If your flojet cut off is only 1.5 bar,Id be looking in to replacing it. The BW4000A is the replacement unit for the BW1000A and is fine to run though a filter. I done it for several years until I plumbed in and so has many others. :wink: