First days with E61 help

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
scottfa

#1: Post by scottfa »

Hi all:
I will receive a new ECM Mechanika tomorrow!
My current setup is a PID'ed Gaggia Coffee with a OPV valve I installed and the Silvia steam wand. Grinder is a new Vario.
Actually, my espressos are really good right now........
So, I am hoping on getting a couple of tips for the following:
1. Initial setup - flush out with a couple of liters before pulling a shot? etc.
2. Cleaning - could not backflush with the Gaggia, but could remove the screen, clean and replace. Can I do this with the E61?
3. Setting the OPV valve and reading the dials - any advice on this?
Thanks in advance :)

TomC
Team HB

#2: Post by TomC »

You do not need to flush several liters of water before a shot. Not sure if that was a typo or not, but you can do a quick flush and go. Especially if its an ECM with a PID.

Yes, it has a 3 way valve, you use a blind portafilter basket to backflush the group for cleaning.

The OPV should be set at the factory, you shouldn't have to mess with it.

Enjoy the rabbit hole!
Join us and support Artisan Roasting Software=https://artisan-scope.org/donate/

Advertisement
sweaner

#3: Post by sweaner »

Tom, I think the question was about the INITIAL shot after setup.

You should not need to flush much before using the machine. Yes, you can backflush your machine. I usually do a water backflush after every session, and a detergent backflush about monthly. Others have different regimens, and it will depend upon your use. Some never use detergent.
Scott
LMWDP #248

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

Yes, after you hook it up the boiler will fill and heat. Once hot open the water tap and let it purge out the water in the boiler. When it gets low it will refill. The system will go cold and need to heat back up again. You can do that a couple time to flush the boiler of any old water from factory testing. Same with the group, run it for 8 or so ounces, let the pump rest a moment, do it again, rest, again. That will insure your system is full of fresh clean water. Then let it all heat for an hour and use it.
Dave Stephens

cuppajoe

#5: Post by cuppajoe »

Pretty much like my ECM Giotto.

Run couple of flushes to clean things out for a new machine.
Not knowing what you're used to, so try 18gr in the double basket and adjust grind accordingly.

One of the things you can do is install an erics thermometer. http://users.rcn.com/erics/DigThermAdptr7.pdf. He hangs out here and I purchased mine directly. One of the best investments I ever made.
David - LMWDP 448

My coffee wasn't strong enough to defend itself - Tom Waits

scottfa (original poster)

#6: Post by scottfa (original poster) »

Thanks everyone.....
The intial flushing was what I was most concerned about.
I have a lot to learn about e61 machines. Lubrication, temperature control etc.
I just started testing my water. Hard doesn't describe it! On a well, but the water treatment doesn't seem to be doing much.
Oh well, that is for later.
I have thought about Eric's thermometer. It seems to me that all thermometers lag when measuring, so how effective is it?
His posts seem really well thought out, so I assume the thermometer is as well. Any pointers on using it?

Randy G.

#7: Post by Randy G. »

I use Eric's thermometer every day and find it an excellent i9nvestment. It makes the initial flush very easy. I do find the length of flush can vary depending on the ambient air temperature but trying to guess what that might be without the group thermometer, first thing in the morning with the haze of sleep still hanging over the eyes is more than I want to deal with in the wee hours.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

Advertisement
scottfa (original poster)

#8: Post by scottfa (original poster) »

I got the machine up and running! Make 3 lattes(I use about 5 oz or 2% milk) and even my wife, she of the cocoa and french vanilla additives, like the straight latte I made her.
I do believe the machine is very forgiving as the pour was way too fast and blonding like crazy.
Anyway, thanks for the help on flushing. Good call.
I also just ordered Eric's thermometer. Don't tell the wife... she think it taste fine now.........

P.S. ECM included a braided SS hose. I assume they put that in all of the Machinikas. Makes me wanna plumb it it, even though I know I am not supposed to.....