Fiorenzato Bricoletta pump not working

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
mrosco

#1: Post by mrosco »

I turned on my Bricoletta today and it seems as though the pump is no longer working. The boiler still works fine as the water heated and made steam to froth but when I pull the lever I get nothing but the pressure from the water line, the pump does not turn on.
Any suggestions I should try before I take it in to get serviced?

Thanks

stefano65
Sponsor

#2: Post by stefano65 »

First make sure that the heating element is disconnected so you don't take the chance of burning it out
then start your troubleshooting
Stefano Cremonesi
Stefano's Espresso Care
Repairs & sales from Oregon.

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

A real long shot here - manually depress the "button" that the lever arm moves to start the pump.

Is the machine under warranty?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

mrosco (original poster)

#4: Post by mrosco (original poster) »

Thanks for the tip..I'll give it a try. Normally when I turn it on in the morning the pump kicks on for a second or two, It doesn't do anything at start up and clearly nothing when I pull the arm. I bought the machine back in 2005 so I doubt it's under warranty but I will check.

mrosco (original poster)

#5: Post by mrosco (original poster) »

stefano65 wrote:First make sure that the heating element is disconnected so you don't take the chance of burning it out
then start your troubleshooting
Thank you...I was afraid of keeping it on for that reason. I thought since it wasn't the boiler it was ok.

erics
Supporter ★

#6: Post by erics »

mrosco wrote:Normally when I turn it on in the morning the pump kicks on for a second or two . . .
I would have to say that this is the way most hx machines operate and its good that you recognize same as being normal operation.

AFAIK, the operation of the pump via the lever and the autofill circuitry is independent. It would be interesting if you can hear the boiler fill solenoid "click" when turning on a cold machine. How handy are you? Do you feel like doing a little disassembly?
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

proteus444

#7: Post by proteus444 »

Regarding your machine, if the pump has been noisy lately, the pump may have frozen up. If not, it may just be the solenoid attached to the electric motor. Unplug the machine, de-couple the water pump from the motor, plug the machine in and try running a shot. If the motor now turns its the solenoid, replace it. If the motor still doesn't start it may be the electric motor. Good luck.

proteus444

#8: Post by proteus444 »

Regarding my last post, my mistake, its the capacitor on the motor not the solenoid (sorry).
Also, if when you remove the water pump from the motor, the shaft on the pump does not turn,
its seized and needs to be replaced.