Fiorenzato Bricoletta--adjustable feet for added height?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
razkolnikov

#1: Post by razkolnikov »

This may seem like an odd question, but I wonder if anyone with a Fiorenzato machine can confirm/deny. I'm trying to raise my Bricoletta by about 1/2'', to add more slope for the drain line. Can I do that by partially unscrewing the feet? Doing so adds height ... but I worry that the feet are designed to be fully screwed in, and that halfway unscrewing them makes them unstable (e.g., the screws that connect foot to frame would bend, or not properly support the machine).

yakster
Supporter ♡

#2: Post by yakster »

How much thread would be left? You might be able to use washers or a nut as a spacer to increase the height, but have the feet remain tight.
-Chris

LMWDP # 272

razkolnikov (original poster)

#3: Post by razkolnikov (original poster) »

Maybe half the threads, roughly.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#4: Post by cannonfodder »

It may not look pretty, but you could always use hex head bolts with an extra nut to lock them in place. Standoffs may also work. The down side to unscrewing the feet, you are losing all the load bearing surface the top of the foot provides. Now all the weight is on one little nut spot welded into the frame. If you do jack it up might I recommend using a nut on the leg along with a washer or two so you can spread the weight over a larger area of the frame.
Dave Stephens

#5: Post by razkolnikov (original poster) »

Good points, thanks. The nuts are a good idea, though I think I'll just get some small wooden blocks and put them under the feet. Not the prettiest solution, but it seems to outweigh potential issues with raising the feet on the threads

Compass Coffee

#6: Post by Compass Coffee »

Espresso machines should be operated level for even shots...
Mike McGinness

#7: Post by razkolnikov (original poster) »

Well, yes ... the idea is to raise all four feet :D (by "slope" I meant vertical, not horizontal slope)

Though I wish that an even machine would always give me even shots!

gbastiani

#8: Post by gbastiani »

Hey Rod,
How do you like your Bricoletta, that is one of the machines that I'm looking at to upgrade too from my Gaggia Baby. How long have you had it, one of the other machines is a Quickmill Antia
Gary

#9: Post by razkolnikov (original poster) »

Gary ... probably too early to tell for me. I've only had the machine for about two or three weeks, though some of those were spent waiting for a part that arrived damaged. From what I can tell so far, it's quite spectacular: I've upgraded from a Gaggia Carezza, and as you might imagine, the difference is huge. So yeah, too early to tell as far as longevity is concerned (service from the U.S. distributor, 1-st line, has been great though, so I'm not worried about that), but definitely a big step up from the single boilers. Recovers fast, steams well, shots are much more forgiving.

I never used an Anita, but I would imagine both machines are a nice improvement on the Gaggia Baby. Do you plan on plumbing it in?

gbastiani

#10: Post by gbastiani »

No about plumbing it in, I live out in the rural area of North Carolina and I'm on a well. The water is ok for washing, showering and cooking. But for coffee NOT, the water has sulfur smell to it so I use distilled/bottled water. As for a vendor I'll use either Chris Coffee or 1st since they are on the same coast and if I have to drive then it's about a days drive to 1st and and maybe a long days drive to Chris. Right now I get my coffee from CCC which is up in Durham,NC. which is about a three hour drive from my home. But it's cheaper to have it delivered then to spend the gas to drive there and back. If I got with the Bricoletta it should fit under my cabinets it's 18 inch from the counter top to the underside of my cabinets.
Gary