Fast extraction from restored simona pump model

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
johndoe

#1: Post by johndoe »

Dear readers and experts alike,

I am curious. My simona non-top version, recently restored, provides about 10 sec of time to get a shot, whether bottomless portafilter, regular portafilter, single, double basket.

I have tried the WDT, the pre-tamp and smack process, and secondary N,S,E,W tamp...the shots are very good near as I can tell perfect for the 1oz or 1.5 oz doubles I do...blend coffee is nothing special, I just roast my own to a dark brown (8min) and go...yemen, Ethiopian, some colombian decaf and then some New Guinea Papue.

My ? is I've read all these fine notes and messages about preinfusion and times of 20+ seconds...all of which I can say never happen.

Can anyone explain why my machine is this quick...grant it - heats up and delivers everytime...no issues?

My grind is fine sand...I use a Reg Barber Basic Tamper....58mm Baskets.

Any kind explanation or advise would be appreciated.

Temp is about 185-200 given a pre-draw from the group and then wait then press the "make" button...espresso flows about 5 seconds after pushing button then total time is about 10 seconds no longer.

Thanks for taking the time to read this and maybe reply.

John

another_jim
Team HB

#2: Post by another_jim »

Grind finer. If you can't, get a real grinder.
Jim Schulman

johndoe (original poster)

#3: Post by johndoe (original poster) »

Jim,

I have a Conical Burr Grinder, a Brevia (sp??) it make very very fine, Turkish grind is the setting I am using.

DO you have a Under $200 suggestion on a "proper" grinder...a real one?

Thanks for the reply.

John

Jeepin' Geo

#4: Post by Jeepin' Geo »

No expert here, but beans, pump pressure and grind come to mind.

George

HB
Admin

#5: Post by HB »

johndoe wrote:DO you have a Under $200 suggestion on a "proper" grinder...a real one?
Searching on inexpensive grinder yielded some good suggestions.
Dan Kehn

#6: Post by johndoe (original poster) »

Dear Sir(s),

Thank you very kindly.

My Brevia (sp??) must not be cutting it, no pun intended.

I will check out for something in a local store front.

Thanks,

By the way, the grind, pressure and temp are all near perfect, but it comes out pretty quick and very even in the bottomless portafilter I had made the other day.

It's just mucho fast and I have to make sure I drain some steam each time from the steam valve prior to keep the temp in line or it becomes a hardcore volcanic eruption...too high temp and steam.

Outside that it's very consistent, just quick...I get great 1 oz to 1.5 oz shots.

Never a Honey or slow syrup drip as told in many of the fun notes I've read.

A long Journey this has been.

of Course $1000 later, all total.

John

#7: Post by johndoe (original poster) »

Update,

Jim was correct. Once I converted to a "real" grinder getting almost confectioner's sugar type grinds...it choked the simona for 60 + seconds...then I got it a bit more coarse and about 25 sec bottomless portfilter shots with double and I was able to do a Triple that came out almost exactly like the photos I've seen

The quality was literally night and day.

Thanks for your help...now to purchase the right grinder.

I am taking the Breville back for a refund which the store 3 months later has graciously agreed to.

I think I need a Rancilio or a comparable grinder (m5)...but first I am going to see if a Commercial unit is avail locally.

I produced very nice work with a commercial one a friend allowed me to grind on last night and then try at home...10 minutes later.

John

#8: Post by johndoe (original poster) »

MACAP m4 looks like the ticket