Faema E61 water drain and connections...

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
ertech

#1: Post by ertech »

Hi guys ,I purchased a 1967 one group E61 from Italy and have a few questions before it arrives to Canada.
1- what size fitting for the drain and fill and where can I get a 90 degree and braided line for theme <see Picture>?
2- the machine has 2 plugs for it , one to the pump/motor and one to power the machine. as I understand from reading posts , the machine and motor are 220 v from Europe. I will install this machine in Canada, can I just plug it to a 240v 20A outlet with no modifications?
I will have to purchase a new plug end and receptacle. any idea the one I will need?
anyone add an adjustable thermosyphon to their vintage E61 or will the reducer be enough?
Thanks so much
Erick Marciano

Beaniac

#2: Post by Beaniac »

Water in is 3/8 drain is 1/2
220/240v 20amp will do. The second wire runs to the actual pump carrying power to supply the pump.
No experience with the adjustable thermosyphon in the old model e61, I know it is fitted in the Legend and Jubilee models, but who really wants those when you can have a old one right.
In the old one a static reducer will allow you to run a slightly higher boiler pressure without the groups overheating, they come in different sizes. If you are of the tinkering kind I think adjustable syphon could be fun, but II can't think of a situation where one would be in need of such an option.

ertech (original poster)

#3: Post by ertech (original poster) »

that great news so the fittings are not metric even if its from the 60's and Italian?
thanks

Beaniac

#4: Post by Beaniac »

Nope, all water and gas lines are in inches even here in Europe.
Only the nuts and bolts of the actual framework and cover are all metric.

Enjoy your vintage faema, they are awesome!

ertech (original poster)

#5: Post by ertech (original poster) »

Thanks for the quick reply
is the main plug 3 prong or 4?
anyone have a picture of the plug?
thanks

ertech (original poster)

#6: Post by ertech (original poster) »

So are you having trouble finding a fitting to connect your European espresso machine to American plumbing? This is THE part you will need to install espresso machines in America.

More than likely because male threads for water inlet on 99% of commercial European espresso machines are 3/8" BSPP. (3/8 BSPP will measures 5/8 " ~ 16.5 mm NOT the same as NPT.) Need more info in understanding BSPP? The nerds over at wiki do a good job: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/British_St ... Pipe.After some research
The 3/8 and 1/2 is not the same thread as in the USA/Canada , on most Italian machine its a english thread
"

Beaniac

#7: Post by Beaniac »

Then I have to apologize, I had no idea the thread is different.

ertech (original poster)

#8: Post by ertech (original poster) »

no problem I Learn every day.

Do you have a picture of the wires comimg out of the machine<color>?what the colors of the wires represent?
I need to wire this 220 machine to 240 in the USA
thanks