Expobar Brewtus IV PID settings and water temperature

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
theswede

#1: Post by theswede »

Hi,

I came across a document regarding certified espresso (http://www.espressoitaliano.org/files/F ... _lq_it.pdf) and I want to reproduce the same on my Brewtus IV.

I notice that I cannot go as low as the recommended 88 degrees C for the water exiting the shower screen on the PID (well actually I do not know what temperature the PID is referencing). How do I setup the machine? What are recommended settings for the PID (offset, P,I,D, temperature) and how does that relate to the recommendation. I thought 88 degrees sounded low given 95 which was defaulted on the Brewtus IV, but reading on several roasters pages (Italian/Spanish) that seems to be a recommended brewing temperature.

Any thoughts?

And one point is that I do not have any thermometer or any other fancy device to actually measure and set it up based on that so please come with some input based on your experience :-)

djdigy

#2: Post by djdigy »

I also wonder if the PID's show the brew temp in shower or the temperature of the boiler...

I mean i want to know if i set the PID to 93C. The water touching the coffee is 93C ?

any help would be great...

erics
Supporter ★

#3: Post by erics »

All the info on the Expobar Brewtus you could ever want: https://wiki.wholelattelove.com/Expobar ... 26_Manuals .

The PID is measuring boiler temperature with a user adjustable offset built in to the controller. It is INTENDED that the display show you the temperature of the water presented to the coffee.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

theswede (original poster)

#4: Post by theswede (original poster) »

Then I deduce that the Expobar is incapable of preparing certified espresso, seems incredible

ira
Team HB

#5: Post by ira »

It's certainly not incapable, but without a Scace there really is no way to know what it's doing. So many people use and are happy with the espresso from a Brewtus, but the early npn-PID version and the later PID versions that I am having trouble understanding your concern. Just adjust it till the espresso tastes good. Isn't that the goal anyway.

Brew 101: How to Adjust Dose, Grind Setting, and Temperature by Taste

Ira

#6: Post by theswede (original poster) »

You are absolutely right, and the coffee tastes great. I'm aiming for a taste profile like in Rome and that is what I seem unable to get

ira
Team HB

#7: Post by ira »

Then talk about the difference between what you get and what you're looking for so people can suggest direction.

Ira

#8: Post by theswede (original poster) »

I have a neutral coffee which is velvet smooth. My memory tells me that the Italian coffee had a similar texture but stronger (more) taste yet no bitterness

Hudson

#9: Post by Hudson »

Try pulling a more ristretto style shot? Less yield might give you the taste you want. Espresso 101: How to Adjust Dose and Grind Setting by Taste
LMWDP #534