Expobar Brewtus IV dual-boiler steam potential

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
peetdevos

#1: Post by peetdevos »

Hi Everybody,

I've been straining myself trying to achieve great micro-foam (latex texture) with my Brewtus. On a real commercial machine I can produce perfection (which provides un-imaginable joy). :D I replaced the stock 1-hole tip with a 4 hole tip to speed up the steaming, but this basically does not work for micro foam.

I'd really like some guidance in terms of how to achieve the goal of daily joyous smooth micro foam. I need to know if it is possible to upgrade the brewtus to give me commercial steaming performance or whether I should simple upgrade to something like a GS3.

I want a 4 hole tip with the performance of a commercial machine.

It is evident that the steam pressure is lower, but what I really think the problem is, is that the steam pressure actually degrades big time while steaming milk (+- 300ml). This means that more water than air is mixed with the milk??

The way I see it - it could be that the hole diameter is too large on my 4 hole tip, causing too much steam to exit the boiler in too low pressure... ? Or that I need a 2000W element in the steam boiler which may be able to produce more steam due to the extra wattage... ?

I have tried it without the plastic tube in the steam wand (that keeps it cool - no burn steam wand), but I did not find it too be much of a help, so I put it back.

I assume that the only real difference between machines are their boiler sizes and element sizes. Other than that, its the steam tip and wand. It could be that an element with 3 times the wattage (2K) could make a huge difference? Any guidance will be helpful.

Thanks,
Peet

DaveC

#2: Post by DaveC »

What's your steam pressure at idle?

seydhe

#3: Post by seydhe »

As a Brewtus IV owner, I too struggled with milk steaming (despite mastering it quite well on my previous machine) and tried a lot of different suggestions I found here.

In the end, the one thing that changed everything was using the two-hole steam tip from the Rocket Espresso Steam Tips set. With this particular tip I get really good micro-foam without even really trying; using one of the other five (stock + Bellabarista's 2-hole + the 3 Rocket) I have, it becomes very difficult. Interestingly, it seems to have the smallest holes of the bunch (this is clearly visible on the various photos of the set you can find on the internet).

So I would definitely start here in your case. I also increased my steam boiler pressure to 1.3 bar (off the top of my head) prior to using the "miracle" tip and it did not improve my results.

PS: registered just to type that reply after lurking on HB for a few years :)

tkenny53

#4: Post by tkenny53 »

I have the Brewtus iv, I use the single tip and have no problem with micro foam. The way of doing it is to tip the pitcher back and to the right, then put the tip about a half inch from the side of the pitcher, just put the tip under the milk and keep it there and allow it to rise with the level of milk. The milk will swirl very fast in the this process.Once you get to 100 deg, lower the tip to the bottom of the pitcher till you get to your temp.

peetdevos (original poster)

#5: Post by peetdevos (original poster) »

Hi Everybody,

I somehow did not get the email updates for your replies, and ended up finding the PERFECT SOLUTION :D on my own - sorry for not responding.
---
I'm posting this as a reference to all Expobar Brewtus dual boiler owners who passionately desire Commercial quality steaming with silky smooth, latex textured milk. The following is necessary and will transform a good machine into an AMAZING MACHINE:

1. Replace the stock 1200W steam boiler element with a 2000W element. The extra 800Watts will give you constant steam pressure with the below 4 hole tip and quicker recovery.

2. Adjust the pressure stat to 1.3bar.

3. Remove the no-burn plastic tube from the steam wand. (Remove the steam tip and pull it out with sharp beak pliers - very easy).

4. Buy an Alex Duetto 3 steam tip pack from Chris Coffee and use the 4 hole 90degree tip. This tip (with its small holes) will ensure consistent/long running steam pressure of more than 1bar with the 2000W element and provide dry steam that makes the most professional micro foam without any issues.

---

Before steaming the milk, simply open the steam valve for 2 or 3 seconds to get rid of the water in the wand and turn on the element. As soon as the pressure reaches 1.3 bar, start steaming your milk. The element will remain on and the pressure will stay constant at 1.1 bar. The results - professional micro foam.

I cannot be happier about this. I've tried everything before upgrading to a GS3 and now I have no reason to - this machine is now exactly what I was looking for. I can now switch between commercial and this machine without changing my steaming technique or results.

Regards,
Peet :)

OttoMatic

#6: Post by OttoMatic »

Hi there. I have a question and a comment.

How do you adjust the pressure stat? I suppose I can go Google it right now as well.

Be careful when swapping a 1200W device for a 2000W device. This machine is meant to be plugged into a 15A circuit and that's why the elements are sized as they are. Swapping to a 2000W element means you'll be drawing more than 15A, and that can be a problem for the wiring -- both inside the machine and inside your walls.

Cheers!

#7: Post by peetdevos (original poster) replying to OttoMatic »

Hi OttoMatic,

Thanks for the feedback. Remove the cover, and the pressure stat is a little black switch with a black ring somewhere at the top of the machine. You turn it one way to lower the pressure switching, and the other way to take it higher. At your own risk, you need to do this while the machine is on, so you can see when it switches the element on/off. Keep the switching to/or less that 1.3bar.

About the 2000W element, I hear what you say, but this was suggested by the local supplier who also maintains these machines. What you say makes a lot of sense, but I'm going to consider it a worthwhile risk. Interestingly enough, I have a power usage monitor on the plug that suppliers the machine, to measure current usage and cost, and since I've swapped the element, the usage/cost has dropped quite a bit - very interesting...

Regards,
Peet

#8: Post by peetdevos (original poster) »

tkenny53 wrote:I have the Brewtus iv, I use the single tip and have no problem with micro foam. The way of doing it is to tip the pitcher back and to the right, then put the tip about a half inch from the side of the pitcher, just put the tip under the milk and keep it there and allow it to rise with the level of milk. The milk will swirl very fast in the this process.Once you get to 100 deg, lower the tip to the bottom of the pitcher till you get to your temp.
Hi tkenny53,

Thanks, I agree that it works, but not good enough for me :). It takes much longer (at least double the time) to steam milk with a single hole tip as opposed to a 4 hole tip. It also does not really match the quality of micro foam in my opinion, and its much more of an effort. If you want to produce a batch of cappuccinos for a few friends, you're going to need the 4 hole tip to make it an absolute pleasure and fast as well. The other thing that I like about the 4 hole is that you can switch between commercial machines and your home machine without changing your technique. Its just a lot more satisfying... :D

Regards,
Peet

#9: Post by peetdevos (original poster) »

seydhe wrote:As a Brewtus IV owner, I too struggled with milk steaming (despite mastering it quite well on my previous machine) and tried a lot of different suggestions I found here.

In the end, the one thing that changed everything was using the two-hole steam tip from the Rocket Espresso Steam Tips set. With this particular tip I get really good micro-foam without even really trying; using one of the other five (stock + Bellabarista's 2-hole + the 3 Rocket) I have, it becomes very difficult. Interestingly, it seems to have the smallest holes of the bunch (this is clearly visible on the various photos of the set you can find on the internet).

So I would definitely start here in your case. I also increased my steam boiler pressure to 1.3 bar (off the top of my head) prior to using the "miracle" tip and it did not improve my results.

PS: registered just to type that reply after lurking on HB for a few years :)
Sorry for all the LATE posts - I'm finally getting some time.

Seydhe, thanks for registering just for this post. I think I agree 100% with you that the tip options are those made especially for the home/smaller machines - those with less steam power and capacity. I would add that a 4 hole is just quicker and I love that. Also the 2KW element makes that this machine now recovers so quick that I can just heat the cups, extract, steam and what ever without needing to wait for anything - its an absolute pleasure to use it now.

Regards,
Peet

tkenny53

#10: Post by tkenny53 »

where did you get your 2k watt heater?