Euro 2000 - Lack of heat/autofill after reaching operating temperature

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
methyltheobromine

#1: Post by methyltheobromine »

My daily machine, a Euro 2000 Jr (very similar to an Isomac Tea) recently developed a problem. About the time the machine reaches normal idle temperature (~35 minutes), the autofill and heater stop. I've got Eric's thermometer installed, and the problem seems to happen when the thermometer reaches about 205, about 10 degrees below the normal long-time-idle temp.

As the machine is getting to operating temp, it works properly--I can dispense water through the hot water wand and the boiler will refill, and the pressurestat cycles on & off normally and activates the heater.

Once the heater & boiler refill stop, they do not respond to normal triggers (lowering the boiler pressure by releasing steam, releasing water through the hot-water wand). The HX continues to work (the pump operates).

After the machine has cooled to about room temperature, it will restart just fine, with the autofill and heater operating normally.

I've tried disabling (bypassing) the pressurestat and overtemp sensor, and this makes no difference.

Running the machine with the case open delays the onset of the problem, but does not eliminate the issue.

I'm wondering if there's some heat-related problem with the SSR or Giemme controller, and open short that only happens when the components are hot. Does that sound likely? Any other suggestions for a solution? Any tips for troubleshooting the SSR and Giemme?

Compass Coffee

#2: Post by Compass Coffee »

Boy interesting symptoms. IIRC auto-fill works fine until approaching full operating idle temp and then auto-fill quits working. At the same time the heater stops heating, even if by-passing the pressurestat no juice to heater?

I'm not familiar with the particulars of that machine but maybe the heater circuit has a low water sensor cut out not that I've encountered one in an HX. Have you tried forcing boiler fill when hot after it quit auto-filling by disconnecting lead to probe like you would to over fill when descaling? Have you removed the auto-fill probe and inspected for scale? Cleaned and reseated any and all related circuit connections? Just guessing at what I'd try if I was beating my head against the wall facing those symptoms. Your bio shows you have two of this machine. If all of the above don't help I'd next swap brains between the machines and see what happens.
Mike McGinness