EspressoForge Stand Project

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
MB

#1: Post by MB »

I wanted an EspressoForge stand that I could fit a larger cup underneath. Here's what I came up with.

My son 3D printed it, but I ruined it when I tried to dye it black. So, back to the drawing board, which yielded this. I figured I could make it out of Corian counter top material.

I had to superglue two pieces together and let them fully cure. I cut a pattern out of 1/4" MDF with a printout of the design double stick taped on top. The sanded patten was then double stick taped to the Corian and most of the excess was trimmed with a table saw. I drilled the leg holes through the pattern for tapping. The outline of the pattern was routed with a pattern bit. Finally the lip, the central hole, and all the edge rounding was done with a router. Next I sanded like a madman with 100, 120, 150, 180, 220, and 400 making sure to thoroughly clean up after each grit. (Using lots of grades works faster for a good result.) Then I buffed with a Dremel cotton wheel and the brick- red buffing compound. For the final shine I hand rubbed it with a silver polish. Here's how it came out.

LMWDP #472

Eastsideloco

#2: Post by Eastsideloco »

Excellent design and execution. Looks great.

pizzaman383
Supporter ❤

#3: Post by pizzaman383 »

Nice functional and minimalistic design.
Curtis
LMWDP #551
“Taste every shot before adding milk!”

MB (original poster)

#4: Post by MB (original poster) »

Thanks David and Curtis. My wife was a bit disappointed when it became clear that I was taking it into work.
LMWDP #472

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#5: Post by EspressoForge »

Nice job! I have tried dipped legs before, and they tend to compress over time, my only suggestion is to get something of suitable size here:
http://www.mcmaster.com/#antislip-tips/=12u74s1

spressomon

#6: Post by spressomon »

OP: I assume your stand is taller than Andre's optional stand?
No Espresso = Depresso

MB (original poster)

#7: Post by MB (original poster) replying to spressomon »

EspressoForge - Thanks for the link. I have a bunch of the end caps that I used, but if they wear poorly, then I'll opt for the heavier duty ones.
I'm not sure. The space below the basket is 4 1/8 inches or 10.5cm. I wanted to be able to see the basket bottom above the cup with a mirror. There's just enough room to see with a scale under the cup.
LMWDP #472

EspressoForge
Sponsor

#8: Post by EspressoForge »

Sorry all, realized the dimensions were off on my site and for the old stand. You can check it now updated, but for reference the height to bottom ring is 5-5/8"

I really like this Corian stand and it seems nice as a permanent fixture in the kitchen. Matt maybe you'll start getting orders! :)

MB (original poster)

#9: Post by MB (original poster) »

EspressoForge wrote:...I really like this Corian stand and it seems nice as a permanent fixture in the kitchen. Matt maybe you'll start getting orders! :)
Thanks for the compliments, but no orders, please! People can make their own or perhaps get someone willing to make them for those interested. Use at will.
LMWDP #472