Espresso machine voltage/plug conversion

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Burner0000

#1: Post by Burner0000 »

Not sure if this is the right place to ask this but here goes.
I have been looking for a single one group commercial machine for some time now without any luck. I have found many 2 group espresso machines for good prices used. Because I am living in an apartment getting a 20A line installed is out of the question. Is it possible to install a 120V element? Would I need to change out the solenoids and the pump too? For plumb in I have found a bottled water pump that does the trick. I have only read about it though. No hands on.

I know it's possible to plug into a stove outlet but I have a 220V 20A plug on my 2 group VFA Splendor. Electricians laugh at me when I ask.. lol!

Pump: http://www.ionizers.org/flojet.html

VFA 2 group plug

Available outlet in my apartment

To make things clear I currently own a VFA Spendor 2 group in storage for future use. I am shopping for a 1 group for home use/backup if needed. Possibly a machine that's not 220V. I would like to use my VFA for the time being and if I can use the outlet available in my apartment safely then I won't have to worry about converting anything.
Roast it, Grind it, Brew it!.. Enjoy it!..

Billc

#2: Post by Billc »

The 220V "available" outlet you have shown may work for you. This outlet is supposed to carry 2 single phase lines (around 120V each) a neutral line and a ground. You would need to check your load center to see what kind of circuit breaker is installed. probably 40-50 amps for this outlet but you never know.

One possible solution would be to replace the current circuit breaker with 2 single 120v breakers. Depending upon the size of the wire going to the outlet you might be able to get a 20amp 120 volt outlet installed.

Of course you should contact a qualified electrician to investigate or complete this.

BillC

duke-one

#3: Post by duke-one »

One way to do this without changing anything in the wall or breaker box would be to, and this must be done correctly, run a line cord proper to the range outlet to a small breaker box with a two pole 20 amp breaker feeding a 220v 20 amp outlet. Every thing on the line (supply) side will have to be rated for the circuit supplying the range outlet. This is not for amateurs so if you are not up to this level of wiring get someone else to do it. This may not be standard electrical practice but if done right will be safe and when you don't need it anymore unplug it and that's that.
Duke

2StrokeBloke

#4: Post by 2StrokeBloke »

For your info:
The electrical receptacle (female) you show beside your machines plug (male) look like the new style, meaning they are rated for 20 amps at 115V. If only rated for 15A, they wouldn't have that little horizontal tang on the left vertical slot. This is actually good news for you if and when you DO get a 115V commercial single group since a lot of them are actually rated for 20Amps and not 15. You cannot connect a 20Amp machine to your normal house wiring if the house wiring is rated at 15A. That is not allowed according to code and is very dangerous.

On the other hand, if you decide you can't wait, Billc has given you a good idea if that 220V outlet isn't needed by a dryer or something like that.

Burner0000 (original poster)

#5: Post by Burner0000 (original poster) »

I have confirmed that the VFA plug is a 220V 20A plug. It says so on both the machine and the plug itself. My VFA Spendor is also a 5000W machine. 220V x 20A = 4400W. All of the internals are 220V. It's a throw off because the photo mirrors the plug so it looks like a 15A one.

See here:

Burner0000 (original poster)

#6: Post by Burner0000 (original poster) »

I also have my eye on the NS Oscar.