Espresso machine not used for several months - recommended cleaning for boiler/reservoir?

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
Charlie97L

#1: Post by Charlie97L »

Hello!

So, I got a Bezzera BZ07 off of a forum member here, and it's been working great. I did have a slight question for the gurus here.

I'm a musician and out of town a lot. I had about 4 months where I was not really at home, nor using my machine.

I had asked my wife to turn it on every couple days for an hour or two if she ended up using it/left water in the tank.

What happened was that it ended up sitting with water in the reservoir, but not turned on, for about 3 months.

I'm sure that the actual machine is ok, and there doesn't seem to be any mold or mildew in the reservoir, but is there a recommended way I can clean everything out here, just to make sure?

Thanks!

HB
Admin

#2: Post by HB »

Advice about bringing an espresso machine out of storage? offers specific suggestions. Basically a good wash/rinse of the reservoir and the same procedure as descaling for the boiler/HX should eliminate any funk that accumulated while your espresso machine was idle.
Dan Kehn

Charlie97L (original poster)

#3: Post by Charlie97L (original poster) »

Thank you sir!

#4: Post by Charlie97L (original poster) »

I can't seem to parse a recommended descaling process in that thread.

It seems fine when I test it out. Can I just run some white vinegar through the system? Or is it more complicated than that? I have checked all the gaskets.

#5: Post by Charlie97L (original poster) »

Anyone? I'm hoping to get to this today.

I'm planning on diluting the vinegar to about half, then running it through all the systems, steam wand, spout, and group head, then doing a flush with water until the smell is gone.

Will that suffice?

Thanks!

iginfect

#6: Post by iginfect »

Don't use vinegar, you'll never get the taste out.

Marvin

#7: Post by Charlie97L (original poster) »

What should I use instead of vinegar? I believe the BZ07 is an HX machine.

#8: Post by Charlie97L (original poster) »

I got some dezcal at BB&B... we'll try that!

going to follow this guide...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SLQup1NKYb8

won't be doing it til tomorrow, so if i'm misdirected, please someone speak up. Thank you!

OneCup4All

#9: Post by OneCup4All »

I am a bit confused.

Why are you trying to descale the machine?

If it was working great before you left and little water has been cycled through the unit, there does not seem to be any need to descale it.

Can you refresh the water in the boiler by using the spout? On my machine (Quickmill Andreja Premium), I would pour about 8 ounces out; wait for the pump to refill; and repeat. You can do this as many times as you like. (6 times?)

Then just run some water through the brew head.

You should be good to go.

If you have been using 'good' water, then there should be little trouble.

Good luck.

#10: Post by Charlie97L (original poster) »

Ok great! It had just been sitting with water in it (not empty), so I wanted to make sure I was good to go.

I will do that.