Espresso machine and circuit overload

Equipment doesn't work? Troubleshooting? If you're handy, members can help.
owlbass

#1: Post by owlbass »

When the pump and heating element are both running simultaneously, the pressure drops on the pump to around 7 bars. This went away when I moved into a new place but it happens from time to time. I think my next step is to check if there are any other appliances running while this problem happens.

Does anyone else have problems with a small circuit? I'm looking to sell my Anita but don't want to sell something that might have a faulty pump. Thanks

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

Was happening to me so I am now getting power from another circuit and the problem disappeared.
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

EricL

#3: Post by EricL »

Code in some areas is that the upper and lower plugs in an outlet are are different circuits in the kitchen. See if that makes a difference.

I have several unused 20a circuit breakers in the box from when we had separate electric heaters in each room, and I'm cannibalizing one of those for a dedicated 20a espresso circuit in the kitchen. If you own your home, and depending on your house layout, it shouldn't be too expensive to run a new line if it continues to be a problem.

cafeIKE

#4: Post by cafeIKE »

A cheap & cheerful VOM plugged into the other socket will tell the story. If the voltage at the plug remains more or less constant [~2v] when the heater kicks in, then there's more than likely an internal wiring problem : Corroded / Loose Connector(s)

7 Function Digital Multimeter at Harbor Freight for $5