Erics thermometer has made my coffee amazing!

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
davebm

#1: Post by davebm »

Eric a quick thank you for your amazing product you developed. Who would of thought how important a role temperature makes when making espresso!

Thanks to this I can now control my temp perfectly on my Rocket! Life changer, game changer!

It was a pain to get hold of in South Africa but luckily a friend managed to bring me back one from the states.

Now I just need a few more toys and *hopefully* I'll be on top of my game. haha.

Randy G.

#2: Post by Randy G. »

davebm wrote:Eric a quick thank you for your amazing product you developed. Who would of thought how important a role temperature makes when making espresso!
Everybody on this forum...?
Did I get it right?
Is there an extra credit question?
EspressoMyEspresso.com - 2000-2023 - a good run, its time is done

day

#3: Post by day replying to Randy G. »

+1

A link would be cool too.
Yes, i you per this on an iPhone

Randy G.

#4: Post by Randy G. replying to day »

erics
Supporter ★

#5: Post by erics »

The Chris' Coffee link says they are "out of stock" now but I assure you that they now have some available as I type.
Skål,

Eric S.
http://users.rcn.com/erics/
E-mail: erics at rcn dot com

Randy G.

#6: Post by Randy G. »

I should add that I have been using Eric's thermometer since 2007. The early version sold with my first E-61 machine. I replaced it with a later(the latest?) version on the DB. On my DB it is, for me, the last tool for consistency in terms of temperature. While it is a great diagnostic device for just keeping an eye on the temperature regulation circuits in general, for me its strength is in the cooling/warming flush. After the machine has been idling I can flush until the temperature stabilizes. It's the difference between knowing exactly where the starting line in a race has been placed, and wondering where the track entrance is located.

navystan

#7: Post by navystan »

Eric was kind enough to make a house call since he lives relatively close. I have the Profitec Pro 700 and I have changed default setting to run both boilers simultaneously. Even though the PID says I'm at temperature, Eric's thermometer reveals if the machine really is ready to deliver that specific temperature. Since I have good idea of the difference between Eric's thermometer and the actual water temperature delivered or presented to the coffee grinds, I know when the optimal time is to actually pull the shots. Eric hooked up a Scace device, so we determined the difference in Eric's thermometer and water presented to coffee was about 4-5 degrees. For example, if Eric's thermometer was 205F, I know offset is 5F, so my actual expected "exit" water is 200F. Strictly relying on the PID is not as accurate as watching the temperature on Eric's device.