Elektra T1 Pressure Gauge Chatter

Need help with equipment usage or want to share your latest discovery?
smite

#1: Post by smite »

Hello All,

Just want to get some additional perspective on my relatively new Elektra T1 that has started exhibiting pressure gauge chatter issues starting around 2 weeks ago. The gauge started showing chatter similar to other threads on this topic I found after searching.

Using the blank filter basket pressure peaks at around 8 and chatters up and down at least 1-2 while backflushing or pulling shots. When the machine is at rest pressure reads around 3 bar.

A few things I have tried with no change:

Remove all filtration and verify inline pressure
Check for any signs of scale or anything blocking the screen for the line into the machine
Fiddle with the pump adjustment mechanism to see if something was stuck as mentioned in other threads. Examine the spring for anything odd.

The machine was purchase new and is still under a two year warranty however according to the vendor neither the gauge nor the pump are covered since they "come in contact with water". The recommendation from the vendor is that the issue is with the gauge and that I buy a new one and that if I send back the old one they will examine it for any signs of manufacturer defects.

Is there anything else I should check first?

Thanks for any help.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#2: Post by cannonfodder »

Normal.

My A3 has done that for 6 or so years, 2 gauges (one was broken in a move) and two water supplies in two houses in two different states. It is most pronounced with a blind basket but you will still get some flutter when pulling a shot but it should be minimal. As long as your supply line is large enough (3/8 OD tube) you should be OK. Now if you are trying to feed it from a small ice machine line (1/4 OD) then you will have a supply issue but in that case your pump will cavitate and it will make all kinds of noise. I run my machine at 3 bar mains pressure.
Dave Stephens

smite (original poster)

#3: Post by smite (original poster) »

Dave,

Thanks for the reply. I have not had any signs of cavitation so far. To be safe I will make sure the main pressure is raised up to 3 bar. The feed line is 3/8 so I should be good there.

John

smite (original poster)

#4: Post by smite (original poster) »

Is the only way to stop the gauge flutter by replacing it?

I am seriously considering selling it since I am relocating and it is either that or put it in storage for about 6+ months which I would rather not do.

I would not want the flutter to be an issue for the person who may be picking this up. The machine has no issues and pulls shots perfectly it is just that this visible issue smears an otherwise wonderful and perfectly newish machine.

Edit:
Minor detail which might help that I just confirmed. The flutter only happens when the water is going through the group. When the boiler is refilling after using the water spout the gauge was steady.

Thanks,

cannonfodder
Team HB

#5: Post by cannonfodder »

As I mentioned just above, some flutter in the gauge is normal. Without a video I could not say if what you are seeing is normal or excessive.
Dave Stephens

cannonfodder
Team HB

#6: Post by cannonfodder »

FYI, the elektra double gauges are around $90.
Dave Stephens

smite (original poster)

#7: Post by smite (original poster) »

Dave, thanks for the replies. I will see if I can post a video over the next few days.

I will say that the flutter is bad enough when brewing that it makes reading the gauge impossible. It flutters around in a 3-4 bar range centered around 8.

Do you know what the cause is? I have not had this issue previously on several other HX and DB machines and was curious is it a design issue or something on my side of the PF that I should avoid doing in the future.

I had found this thread Any other A3/T1 owners experience this with their pressure gauge? which talks about creating that coiled line but it seems odd to have to do this for a 1 year old machine.

Thanks again.

cannonfodder
Team HB

#8: Post by cannonfodder »

Sounds like a lot more than I see. When I originally plumbed in the machine I had to small of a supply line and it caused excessive fluttering, as did to low of an input pressure. I run my regulator at 4 bars which is about 3 bar at the machine with a 3/8 inch OD supply line. You could also try cracking the supply line on the gauge to bleed it out and see if that cleans it up.
Dave Stephens

smite (original poster)

#9: Post by smite (original poster) »

Thanks. I will try bleeding the line and see if that changes anything and post back.

smite (original poster)

#10: Post by smite (original poster) »

Bleeding the line seems to have alleviated the issue!

Thanks,